PDA

View Full Version : A question about surface area

elcatracho
08-18-2005, 01:38 PM
This question is very hard for me because it does not deal with actual numbers, rather is deals with variables.
The question is... Find the surface area of a box of height h whose base dimensions are p and q and that satisfies the following condition
question A- The box is closed
Question B- The box has an open top
Question C- The box has an open top and a square base
I'd be really thankful for some assitance on this question. Thanks, Luis

tkhunny
08-18-2005, 02:01 PM
This question is very hard for me because it does not deal with actual numbers, rather is deals with variables.
The question is... Find the surface area of a box of height h whose base dimensions are p and q and that satisfies the following condition
I'd be really thankful for some assitance on this question. Thanks, LuisWhy does it make any difference? The concept of substitution is very, very VERY important. If x = 2, does it matter if you write 2 or x? No. They are the same.

How would you work this problem? Just set it up. Don't solve it.

Find the surface area of a box of height 12 in whose base dimensions are 6 in and 9 in and that satisfies the following condition

I'll do the first one. Top and bottom are the same, 2*6*9. Two sides match, 2*6*12. The other two sides also match, 2*9*12.

elcatracho
08-19-2005, 11:39 PM
I understand the first part because it follows the Surface area formula... the problem that i'm running into is the fact that i don't understand how having the top open will affect the surface area. Will it just be adding another p*q because their is an additional space that is exposed and that would be it's area. And for step three how would I be able to express that the bottom is a sqaure? by simply stating that p=q? I think I have an idea of how to solve it but i'm still a bit confused. Thanks, Luis

Denis
08-20-2005, 12:42 AM
I understand the first part because it follows the Surface area formula... the problem that i'm running into is the fact that i don't understand how having the top open will affect the surface area. Will it just be adding another p*q because their is an additional space that is exposed and that would be it's area.
C'mon Luis...THINK!
A box with a top has 6 "surfaces", the top being one (equal to bottom);
a box with no top has 5 surfaces...THERE'S NO TOP!

elcatracho
08-21-2005, 11:13 PM
I'm still confused because wouldn't a box with an OPEN top have seven sides since there is a new side exposed. WOuld u just write it as... 2pq+2ph+2Qh+ pq. The last part of the question still has me confused but i think I understand the second part I just want to make sure I understand it. Please I just want to put this problem to rest. Thanks, Luis

Denis
08-22-2005, 12:30 AM
I'm still confused because wouldn't a box with an OPEN top have seven sides since there is a new side exposed. WOuld u just write it as... 2pq+2ph+2Qh+ pq. The last part of the question still has me confused but i think I understand the second part I just want to make sure I understand it. Please I just want to put this problem to rest. Thanks, Luis
No Luis; an "open top" means NO TOP whatsoever:
like a square coffee cup or something :)

Say you paint a no top box: 5 surfaces, right?
But paint a box with a top: 6 surfaces, right?