supplement and complement

G

The supplement of an angle is 60 degrees less than twice the supplement of the complement of the angle. Find the measure of the complement.

I know the answer is 70 degrees because i looked in the back of the book but i need to know how to solve it. Thanks for your help

ash4 said:
The supplement of an angle is 60 degrees less than twice the supplement of the complement of the angle. Find the measure of the complement.
What is the name of the angle? You don't know? Oh, well, then, I guess we should give it a name.

x = The Angle we are looking for.

Supplementary Angles add to 180º
Complementary Angles add to 90º

Decode one piece at a time.

"The supplement of an angle" That's (180º - x)
"The complement of an angle" That's (90º - x)
"the supplement of the complement of the angle" That's [180º - (90º - x)]

"The supplement of an angle is 60 degrees less than twice the supplement of the complement of the angle."

"(180º - x) is 60 degrees less than twice the supplement of the complement of the angle."

"(180º - x) is 60 degrees less than twice [180º - (90º - x)]"

Can you finish?

Please explain again. I have a problem too. It is an angle is 3 times its complement. Find the two angles;)

Please explain again. I have a problem too. It is an angle is 3 times its complement. Find the two angles;)

A slightly different approach than the one Sir Denis suggested:

let x = measure of the angle
then, 90 - x = measure of the complement

(I like this "beginning" because you can use it on ANY complementary angles problem)

Ok....the problem says

the measure of the angle is 3 times the measure of the complement

x = 3*(90 - x)

Now, can you solve that for x? That (as we've stated) is the measure of the angle, and 90 - x is the measure of the complement.