calculating time and a half using excel!

spezialize

Hey guys.. I am just checking with you smart people to see if my formula to calculate time and a half overtime via excel is right..

(Hours Worked * Hourly Wage) + (OT Hours/2 * Hourly Wage)

so for example.. the cut off being 36 hours.. anything over is OT

so if some1 works 40 hours.. they get 4 hours of overtime..

The thing is under hours worked the hours is 40.. and not 36.. hours worked is the complete total of hours worked.. and OT hours shows how many of those hours are actually OT.

I'm sorry, but I'm having difficulty following what you've written. Could you please reply with a clarified version of your question, using complete sentences and stating specifically what your query is?

Thank you.

Eliz.

stapel said:
I'm sorry, but I'm having difficulty following what you've written. Could you please reply with a clarified version of your question, using complete sentences and stating specifically what your query is?

Thank you.

Eliz.

I don't know how to make that equation any more simpler.

"The thing is under hours worked the hours is 40.. and not 36.. hours worked is the complete total of hours worked.. and OT hours shows how many of those hours are actually OT."

Make this clearer. :wink:

spezialize said:
I don't know how to make that equation any more simpler.
I'm sorry, but I cannot locate an equation within what you have posted, only run-on and/or incomplete sentences.

Eliz.

spezialize said:
(OT Hours/2 * Hourly Wage)
I would change that to

(OT Hours * (Hourly Wage/2))

Just to make it make more sense. The result is the same, but it's easier to follow.

If your looking for an excel style format than it would be better to think this way..

The hours worked = x
normal hours = 36
overtime hours = x-y ( if this is a negative then less than 36 has been worked- you can filter this in excel)

So total pay can be done this way

total = ((Hours Worked-36) * Hourly Wage) + (hours worked - 36 * Hourly Wage*1.5)

using your example of .. the cut off being 36 hours.. anything over is OT

so if some1 works 40 hours.. they get 4 hours of overtime..