alegebra rational expressions

dixiedarlin

hi having a problem trying to solve this rational expression with same denominator
2x-9 x-9
____ - _______
x(x-3) x(x-3)

my answer 2
____
x-3
but not sure if this is correct Please help :(

dixiedarlin said:
hi having a problem trying to solve this rational expression
Equations are solved; expressions are simplified. Do the instructions say to "solve" or to "simplify", or something else? I will guess "simplify".

dixiedarlin said:
2x-9 x-9
____ - _______
x(x-3) x(x-3)
I will guess that this means the following:

. . . . .(2x - 9)/(x(x - 3)) - (x - 9)/(x(x - 3))

...or, in LaTeX:

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \large{\frac{2x\,-\,9}{x(x\,-\,3)}\, -\,\frac{x\,-\,9}{x(x\,-\,3)}}\)

If so, then just combine the two numerators, simplify, and then cancel the common factor.

dixiedarlin said:
my answer 2
____
x-3
It is simple to check their equality: Either evaluate them at a few different x-values and verify that they return the same result. (For instance, what is the result if you evaluate each at x = 2?) Or else graph each in your calculator, and verify that they display the same graph.

If you are unsatisfied with the results, please reply showing how you arrived at your answer. Thank you.

Eliz.

I have no idea what u said. :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
stapel could u send it to me in a email form explaining what you just did.
please

Ti-Pro.doc. said:
I have no idea what u said.
Which part did you not understand? Do you not know how to evaluate expressions? Or graph functions? Please reply with specifics. Thank you.

Ti-Pro.doc. said:
I'm sorry, but I do not offer private tutoring here. Please post which thing I "did" that you need clarified. (Note: The formatting with LaTeX is explained in the links in the "Forum Help" pull-down menu at the very top of the page.)

Thank you.

Eliz.

yes I am having a problem figuring out what to do and I have a had time understanding math it has been about 18 years since I have taken math and this is math 099 in college. But thank you for your help.
thanks

Ti-Pro.doc. said:
I have no idea what u said. :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
please

oops, typo disregard that message.