Quadratic Equations: book says y(y - 7) = 2y^2 - 14y

John Whitaker

My book tells the following:
Multiply y-7=0 by y and the result is 2y^2-14y=0
Multiply x-6=0 by x and the result is x^2-6x=0

One result shows a coefficient of 2; the other result does not. The equations are nearly identical in structure, so, in the result of the first one, where does the coefficient "2" come from in 2y^2 ? OR, why isn't there a coefficitent of 2 preceeding x in the result of the second statement?
Thank you.
John Whitaker

Re: Quadratic Equations

John Whitaker said:
Multiply y-7=0 by y and the result is 2y^2-14y=0
Multiply z-6=0 by x and the result is x^2-6x=0

One result shows a coefficient of 2; the other result does not. The equations are nearly identical in structure, so, in the result of the first one, where does the coefficient "2" come from in 2y^2 ? OR, why isn't there a coefficitent of 2 preceeding x in the result of the second statement?
Thank you.
John Whitaker

Wow you really messed up typing that or something.

If you take \(\displaystyle \L 2x\) times \(\displaystyle \L x-7=0\) then the result is \(\displaystyle \L 2x^2-14x=0\)

If you take \(\displaystyle \L x-6=0\) times \(\displaystyle \L x\) then the result is \(\displaystyle \L x^2-6x=0\)

Re: Quadratic Equations

John Whitaker said:
"Multiply y-7=0 by y and the result is 2y^2-14y=0"

(y - 7) times y = y^2 - 7y

"Multiply x-6=0 by x and the result is x^2-6x=0"

That's correct
Is it THAT BOOK again, John :shock:

Denis,

That's the answer I get... and yes, it's THAT BOOK! It says:

Multiply y-7=0 by y and the result is 2y^2-14=0... I swear, that's what is printed. Tell me the book is wrong. That's all I need. Thanks. John

John Whitaker said:
Denis,
That's the answer I get... and yes, it's THAT BOOK! It says:
Multiply y-7=0 by y and the result is 2y^2-14=0... I swear, that's what is printed. Tell me the book is wrong. That's all I need. Thanks. John

THE BOOK IS WRONG :idea:

Probably a typo; should be : (y - 7) times 2y

By the way, are you saying "I swear" or "$%#@!&^%*#" :wink:

I spent 2 hours staring at that darn thing. I was embarrassed to bring it to the forum, but finally saw no choice. THE BOOK IS WRONG AND I FOUND IT!!! HORAAY!!! "Painless Algebra" by Lynette Long, Ph.D. 1998 edition, p. 207.
Thanks again. I'm done. John

Denis,

By the way, are you saying "I swear" or "$%#@!&^%*#"

Sir. I am a gentleman! (But how would you know that... and I could be lying.) I take an oath, it's what the book displays. John