Polynomial division

yoda

Can someone please explain to me how polynomial division works? The lecture my teacher gave didn't make any sense, nor did the book. I'm supposed to be synthetic division, but it doesn't make sense to me. One of my problems is (9x^3 - 18x^2 - x + 2) / (3x + 1). I can set the problem up, but I dont get what im supposed to do from there. I don't want the answer because the teacher gave it to me to check my work, but I would greatly apreciate it if someone could help me through the steps. Thanks!

Ok this is going to be hard to explain online so bear with me on this one. Ok so we have this little box rule in our class. So on your paper make a little box in the corner and put this

|
|
____ 9 -18 1 2

those go in decending order of the exponents on the variable. So on the bottom of your equation you have 3x+1 so if you se that equal to 0, and get the variable by it's self you will get x=1/3 so that is what you put in your box, so now you have.

|
1/3 |
____ 9 -18 1 2

so now you take the 9 and you bring it down.

|
1/3 |
____ 9 -18 1 2

1/3 |
____ 9 -18 1 2

You then take the 3 and minus it from the -18 and you get -21

|
1/3 |
____ 9 -18 1 2

|
1/3 |
____ 9 -18 1 2

3 -7 -2

9x^2 - 21x -6 but remember how on the bottom in the orginal problem you had 3x-1. you now need to divide the top by 3, since you did that while doing your synthetic divistion. so your final answer will be. . .
3x^2 - 7x - 2

Hope this helped :]