Find the slope and y-intercept of y = -9x + 4

Algebragreek2me

Find the slope and y-intercept of:

y=-9x+4

Is it not already in the slope form? I do not see anything more to do to it.

slope form of a line: y=mx+b

m = slope, b = y intercept

So, your slope is -9 and your y-intercept is 4.

TO graph this manually, make a dot at y = 4 on the coordinate grid. count up 4 (rise) and over 1 (run) make another dot. Count up 4 and over 1.. 4/1...4/1...4/1.......

Draw a line through your dots.

Have fun.

Algebragreek2me said:

y=-9x+4

Is it not already in the slope form?
If you mean "slope-intercept" form, yes.

But the question doesn't ask you to "write the equation in slope-intercept form". It asks you to take the given equation and say what the slope and y-intercept actually are.

Eliz.

Algebragreek2me said:

y=-9x+4

Is it not already in the slope form? I do not see anything more to do to it.

"slope-intercept form" for the equation of a line with slope m and y-intercept b is

y = mx + b

If you are given an equation like

y = 3x + 2

and are asked to state the slope and the y-intercept, you'd compare your equation to the general slope-intercept form:
y = mx + b
y = 3x + 2

What is the value of "m"? That is the slope. What is the value of "b"? That is the y-intercept. In my example, m = 3, so the slope is 3. And b = 2, so the y-intercept is 2.

Can you apply this same method to your problem?

Algebragreek2me said:
the slope is -9 and the y-intercept is 4
More precisely, m = -9 and the y-intercept is the point (0, 4) (so the y-intercept is at y = 4).

Eliz.

I do not see where it ask for the formula to me it is just wanting the answer that -9 is the slope and 4 is the y-intercept

Algebragreek2me said:
I do not see where it ask for the formula to me it is just wanting the answer that -9 is the slope and 4 is the y-intercept
The only one who has tried to answer a "formula" question is you. As explained previously, this question does not ask for a formula or for the line in a particular form. It asks only for the slope and y-intercept.

You have had the answers explained at depth, and then confirmed as correct. I'm afraid I don't understand why you are still lost.

Please reply with clarification. Thank you.

Eliz.

is this not a formula...More precisely, m = -9 and the y-intercept is the point (0, 4) (so the y-intercept is at y = 4)?

Algebragreek2me said:
is this not a formula...More precisely, m = -9 and the y-intercept is the point (0, 4) (so the y-intercept is at y = 4)?
I'm not seeing any "formula"; only the value of the slope m and the location of the y-intercept (0, b) on the y-axis.

If you are so unfamiliar with this topic that you don't know the terms nor recognize the standard names of things, even after other posts have defined and explained them, then you might want to consider spending some time studying the material in most recent two or three chapters covered in your class, either in your book, your classnotes, online, or with a tutor. We can't provide the in-depth re-teaching you would appear to need.

My best wishes to you.

Eliz.

How can you re-teach something that someone has never been taught? I do not think that is possible. If someone has never been taught algebra you cannot re-teach it to them. Kind of one of those impossiblilities don't you think? :)

Algebragreek2me said:
How can you re-teach something that someone has never been taught?
My apologies. I'd assumed you were in a class, and that the instructor and textbook had covered this material before homework was assigned. I would gather from the above that you are actually doing self-study.

Since you say you haven't yet received any instruction on this topic, you obviously need lessons. Unfortunately, we cannot reasonably provide such within this environment. So please consider studying from some of the many lessons available online. To learn the material you're missing for this particular exercise, the following should suffice:

. . . . .Google results for "cartesian plane"

. . . . .Google results for "intercepts"

. . . . .Google results for "slope line"

. . . . .Google results for "straight line equation"

. . . . .Google results for "graph slope intercept"

Once you have studied a few lessons on each topic, you should be able to understand the solution you've been provided here.

Eliz.