[SPLIT] word probs: triangles, investments, d = rt

barton34

The base is 2 more the the height, and the longest side is 3 more than the height. If the perimeter is 17, find the area?

Re: help with a word problem...

Investments: Complete the table if equal amounts are invested in each of two accounts paying 0.3% and 9% respectively, and the third account has twice as much as the first or second and is paying 5%, all are based on annual growth. Answer the question below?

Acct. Number Principal rate T I
7896-001 1

4645-002 1 0.09x

2345-003 1

a. If one year's combined interest income is $2200, how much was invested in each account. Form an equation and solve for the amount?

you leave Gaylord heading south on I-75 at 67mph. A friend leaves Grayling on bicycle heading north on I-75 traveling at 8mph. If you both leave at the same time 1:00 pm. What time will you meet if the distance is 30 miles?

barton34 said:
you leave Gaylord heading south on I-75 at 67mph. A friend leaves Grayling on bicycle heading north on I-75 traveling at 8mph. If you both leave at the same time 1:00 pm. What time will you meet if the distance is 30 miles?

Let x = number of hours each of you travel

If YOU are heading south at 67 mph, in x hours you'll travel 67*x miles

(that's because distance = rate * time)

Your friend travels north for the same amount of time, going 8 mph. The distance your friend travels is 8*x miles

Now...look at this diagram:

your distance friend's distance
*------------------------><------*
*---------------30 miles--------*

Do you see that the distance you traveled, PLUS the distance your friend traveled, must be the whole 30 miles between the two towns?

67x + 8x = 30

Solve that for x.....

Barton, start your own threads; and one question per thread, hear ? :shock:

barton34 said:
Investments: Complete the table if equal amounts are invested in each of two accounts paying 0.3% and 9% respectively, and the third account has twice as much as the first or second and is paying 5%, all are based on annual growth. Answer the question below?

Code:
Acct. Number       Principal         rate         T           I
7896-001                                                   1

4645-002                                                   1        0.09x

2345-003                                                   1
a. If one year's combined interest income is $2200, how much was invested in each account. Form an equation and solve for the amount?

Please share with us your work/thoughts - indicating exactly where you are stuck - so that we know where to begin to help you.