mixing $1.50/lb peanuts w/ 24 lbs of $3.50/lb walnuts to get

srfoss

Suppose you want to make mixture of peanuts and walnuts that costs $2.70 per pound. How many pounds of peanuts at $1.50 per pound should be mixed with 24 pounds of walnuts at $3.50 per pound? thank you for any help

Re: Story problem problems

srfoss said:
Suppose you want to make mixture of peanuts and walnuts that costs $2.70 per pound. How many pounds of peanuts at $1.50 per pound should be mixed with 24 pounds of walnuts at $3.50 per pound? thank you for any help

Please show your work, indicating exactly where you are stuck so that we know where to begin to help you.

To start name variables like

Let

Pounds of peanuts = P

Pounds of walnuts = W = 24

So

P*1.5 + 24*3.5 = (P+24)*2.7 <<<<<<<<<<< Fixed the confusion regrading variable name - MrsPi

Now continue....

I REALLY hate to be picky...BUT....P and p are NOT the same variables.

If P = number of pounds of peanuts, and

24 + P = number of pounds of walnuts, your equation is correct, Subhotash.

But, we constantly emphasize the meaning of variables, and your equation has both P and p in it...

Mrspi said:
I REALLY hate to be picky...BUT....P and p are NOT the same variables.- I stand corrected - guilty - only excuse I can give that vanity got in the way and I was typing without my glasses on - but as I said that is just an excuse

24 + P = number of pounds of walnuts, - However here (24+P) is the total weight of the mixture not of walnuts alone.

your equation is correct, Subhotash.

But, we constantly emphasize the meaning of variables, and your equation has both P and p in it...

Code:
   a  @  x
   b  @  y
==========
(a+b) @  z

z = (ax + by) / (a + b)
Tattoo that on your wrist, srfoss :idea:

MY EDIT: Thank you to everyone who contacted me to point out my error. I choose to delete my erroneous post, since, after correcting it, it no longer shows what I wanted to show. (I also seem to have lost interest.) Please excuse my sloppiness.

mmm4444bot said:
Denis said:
Code:
TO PARAPHRASE SPECIFIC FROM GENERAL:

a peanuts  *   1.5     (This format does make the problem clearer)
+   24 walnuts  *   3.5
  ========================
  (a+24) nuts   *   5.0       (Hang on, doesnt the problem ask for X pounds of peanuts to be mixed with 24 pounds that would ultimately cost $2.70 per 
                                       pound? If so, shouldnt it be... 

(a+24)nuts * 2.70  (as pointed out by subhutosh earlier)
                                                    thus reading,
                                                                (a * 1.5 + 24 * 3.5) = (a + 24) * 2.70  (then solving for a)

Don't get all excited zoya: Mark made a simple typo; you can see that, can't you? :shock:

Subhotosh Khan said:
Mrspi said:
I REALLY hate to be picky...BUT....P and p are NOT the same variables.- I stand corrected - guilty - only excuse I can give that vanity got in the way and I was typing without my glasses on - but as I said that is just an excuse

24 + P = number of pounds of walnuts, - However here (24+P) is the total weight of the mixture not of walnuts alone.

your equation is correct, Subhotash.

Ok...I wasn't using MY glasses either. Isn't it HECK to get old!!

Denis said:
Don't get all excited zoya: Mark made a simple typo; you can see that, can't you? :shock:

Sorry Mark :(

Your right Denis, I was excited when i found this site via google. Even more excited watching the interesting interactions about problems. I am doing a bridging math to do my MS Policy and management, trying to take every opportunity to learn as much as i can before the actual course starts.

The intention was not to put anyone down by that remark.

Apologies for appearing too eager :wink:

Subhotosh Khan said:
Mrspi said:
....Isn't it HECK to get old!!

No ... not when I consider the alternative!!!

I agree with both. It IS heck to put up with age issues, but we have no choice because suicide is not legal.

In less enlightened times, they would hang you for even trying to kill yourself. (That's a paraphrase of a line from an old Peter Cook and Dudley Moore flick.)