solving 2/3w = 1/7(w - 2), d/6 + 1/7 = 2 (don't know fracs)

bagociusd

I'm sinking in algebra I have difficulty with fractions especially. ex 2/3w= 1/7(w-2). or things that should be much easier such as d/6+1/7=2 !!!! I NEED HELP PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!!

Re: I'm sinking in algebra

bagociusd said:
... such as d/6+1/7=2 ...

Hello Bag o Ciusd:

To begin solving d/6 + 1/7 = 2 requires knowing two things.

6 * 7 = 42

Multiplying sixths or sevenths by 42 eliminates the fractions.

Instead of writing to warn us that you're sinking, how about asking a question, instead? Perhaps, you could ask a question about the actual exercise on which you're currently working. Show us your work, and tell us why you're stuck.

Here is my boilerplate response, for you, as well.

At the top of this board's index, you will find a post titled, "Read Before Posting".

Please, read it.

It outlines your responsibilities for seeking help at this web site.

The main points of that post are (1) we don't simply guess at lessons which we could type for you to provide solutions for your homework, and (2) you make it very difficult for people to help you when you withhold your knowledge and attempts.

After you read your responsibilities, then please come back and show us what you've been able to accomplish so far on these exercises. It would be even better if you could also include statements about why you're stuck.

We are eager to help guide you.

Cheers,

~ Mark :)

"Spoon feeding, in the long run, teaches us nothing but the shape of the spoon" -- E.M. Forster

Re: I'm sinking in algebra

Li'l rule that may help you: a/b + c/d = (ad + bc) / (bd)

Also remember that a/b + c = a/b + c/1 : the 1 is not usually shown...but it's there!!

The way I went about doing the second problem d/6 + 1/7 =2 actually was by dividing out with a LCD. Which was 42. I then came up with 7d+6 = 84. So next I need get the variables on one side. So I need to subract 6 from the original 6 which cancels it out and also - 6 from 84 leaving me with 78. Next I want to isolate the variable "d" so I divided both sides by 7. My answer came out to 11.14. I have no idea if this is the right answer, but I really don't think it is. It just does not seem right to me. By the time I finally finished trying to do this problem my mind is so discumbobulated I can't even begin to figure out if I am even close to having the right answer. So I really don't even know where I am making mistakes. I feel pretty sure that that answer is not to this problem, but it could be and I don't trust myself. I am thinking that is not the case though! :? :? Any input would be a huge help. THANK YOU!

d/6 + 1/7 =2

My answer came out to 11.14

The way to check is to plug your answer back into the original problem and see if it works. To be accurate, you should use 78/7 instead of 11.14, which is rounded off.

Congrats! It works! You did everything right.

bagociusd said:
Instead of explaining your work with words - you should use mathematical statements (much shorter - that is why mathematics was invented)

The way I went about doing the second problem

d/6 + 1/7 =2 actually was by dividing out ( you multiplied both sides of the equation by 42)with a LCD. Which was 42. I then came up with

7d+6 = 84. So next I need get the variables on one side. (isolate variables)

7d+6 - 6= 84-6 So I need to subract 6 from the original 6

7d = 78 which cancels it out and also - 6 from 84 leaving me with 78.

d = 78/7 Next I want to isolate the variable "d" so I divided both sides by 7. My answer came out to 11.14.

Check

7d+6 = 7 * (78/7) + 6 = 78 + 6 = 84....Checks - so the answer is most probaly correct

I have no idea if this is the right answer, but I really don't think it is. It just does not seem right to me. By the time I finally finished trying to do this problem my mind is so discumbobulated I can't even begin to figure out if I am even close to having the right answer. So I really don't even know where I am making mistakes. I feel pretty sure that that answer is not to this problem, but it could be and I don't trust myself. I am thinking that is not the case though! :? :? Any input would be a huge help. THANK YOU!