Alegbraic Symbols: If one addend of x is c, what is other?

kianamalele

Please help me solve this, the question asks me to write in the alegbraic symbol for the following question:

If one addend of x is c, what is the other addend?

Your help is greatly appriciated.

Re: Alegbraic Symbols

Suppose I said "one addend of 43 is 20. What is the other addend?" What would you do to answer that question? Would you get an answer of 23? Good. What did you do with the sum and the one addend to get 23? Do the same thing with x and c. Of course you can't combine x and c and get a nice single number like you could with 43 and 20, so you have to indicate that process. If I were to indicate the process with 43, rather than actually doing the subtraction to get 23, I would indicate it by writing 43-20. Now, you do the same thing with x and c. Make sure you get them in the correct order, remembering that something lite 5-2 is not the same as 2-5.

Loren,

I am really just lost on all of this, this stuff is a foriegn language to me. I am trying to help someone that is just as foriegn to this as me and it's not working. That's why I asked for the help on these questions because I don't understand any of it and don't know what x and y and c even is. So I have no clue how to solve these word problems. HELP!

kianamalele said:
Please help me solve this, the question asks me to write in the alegbraic symbol for the following question:

If one addend of x is c, what is the other addend?

Your help is greatly appriciated.

"addends" are the things that are being ADDED to produce a specific sum (the result of the addition)

If one addend is 5, and the sum is 9, then 5 + (?) = 9

if one addend of x is c, then c + (?) = x

As a further comment, you say you are trying to help someone else with math. That's great, and admirable. However, dealing with a "translator" on this material is seldom successful. It would be much better if the person you're trying to help would post here, so we can see what he/she is having trouble with.