Slopes: Which statement is true about the slope of line AC ?

Petenerd

Which statement is true about the slope of line AC ?

I can't copy the graph for you, but A is (-5,-3), B is (-1,1), and C is (3,5). The B is part of line AC. And the choices are:

A. The slope is the ratio of the x- and y-intercepts.
B. The slope is the same between any two points on the line.
C. The slope between point A and point B is greater than the slope between point B and point C.
D. The slope between point A and point C is greater than the slope between point A and point B.

I know the formula for slope, change in y/chanch in x. Then y2-y1/x2-x1. I could find the slopes, but I can't determine the answer.

Re: Slopes

Petenerd said:
Which statement is true about the slope of line AC ?

I can't copy the graph for you, but A is (-5,-3), B is (-1,1), and C is (3,5). The B is part of line AC. And the choices are:

A. The slope is the ratio of the x- and y-intercepts.
B. The slope is the same between any two points on the line.
C. The slope between point A and point B is greater than the slope between point B and point C.
D. The slope between point A and point C is greater than the slope between point A and point B.

I know the formula for slope, change in y/change in x. Then y2-y1/x2-x1. I could find the slopes, but I can't determine the answer.

Is A. correct? You've given the definition of the slope, does that match the statement in A. ?

Is B. correct? It says that no matter what two points on the line you choose, you'll get the same answer. Is this true, for slopes of straight lines?

Is C. correct? You can work out the slope between A and B, and between B and C from your formula. Is one greater than the other?

Is D. correct? You check this the same way you checked C.

The 'slope' of a line measures how "steep" the line is. A slope of 0.32 means that every 1 unit you move along the x axis, the value of y increases by 0.32. Try to get the concept in your mind more than the formula. If you can't remember both, it's usually easier to figure out the formula from your understanding of the concept, than to figure out the concept from the formula - what's more, understanding the concept means you'll recognise it in unexpected places, and suddenly have a formula that applies in a new and unfamiliar situation.