furniture e5q17 *

tamiatha

a furniture store displays bedroom sets which requires 21 square meters of space and living room sets which require 42 square meters of space. the store,which has 546 square meters of available space, wants to display at least 6 bedroom sets and at least 5 living room sets.
let x = number of bedroom sets
let y = number of livingroom sets
problem: write a system of inequalities to represent the number of furniture sets that can be displayed
problem: if a bedroom set sells for $10,000 and a livingroom set sells for $18,000, determine the number of bedroom sets and livingroom sets that must be sold to maximize the amout collected

please help :lol: :lol:

Re: furniture e5q17

This one is pretty straightforward.

They want to sell at least 6 bedroom sets. \(\displaystyle x\geq 6\)

They want to sell at least 5 living room sets. \(\displaystyle y\geq 5\)

Since a bedroom suite takes up 21 m^2 each, wouldn't the total amount they take up be 21x?.

Same reasoning for the living room suites.

Altogether they can not take up more than 546 m^2.

\(\displaystyle 21x+42y\leq 546\)

problem: if a bedroom set sells for $10,000 and a livingroom set sells for $18,000, determine the number of bedroom sets and livingroom sets that must be sold to maximize the amout collected

thanks for answer to first half of problem

tamiatha said:

thanks for answer to first half of problem

Okay so tell us how would you do the second half?

To start

write an equation to describe the "amount collected" (in terms of 'x' & 'y' - as defined in the first part of the problem)

Re: furniture e5q17 w

the symbol you placed bewteen x and y(the one you used in your hint on how to get me started for part 2),what does it mean :oops:
thank you

tamiatha said:
the symbol you placed bewteen x and y(the one you used in your hint on how to get me started for part 2),what does it mean
The "ampersand" symbol (probably "Shift-7" on your keyboard) stands for "and". :shock:

I admire your efforts to try to learn this material yourself. BUT, as you have seen, it's very difficult to do this online. I suggest that you try to find a tutor who can sit down with you and work "face-to-face." It may seem like an expensive proposition, but I'm sure that, in the end, you'll realize the value of this expenditure.

i was Not confused by the ampersand :shock:

thanks to everyone on the forum for all their help over the past few months
i can't afford a tutor but greatly appreciate all the time and help that all of you have provided me :)

later :(

would anyone be interested in helping me with the second part of this question
i cannot do it and must
thank you

The question is worded:
problem: if a bedroom set sells for $10,000 and a livingroom set sells for $18,000, determine the
number of bedroom sets and livingroom sets that must be sold to maximize the amout collected.

What does that mean?
That the 546 area is filled (keeping at least 6 bedroom sets and 5 livingroom sets) such that if
everything is sold, the collected amount is at maximum?

If that's the case, can you figure out how much of an area is left after the required
6 bedroom sets and 5 livingroom sets are put in?

Denis said:
can you figure out how much of an area is left after the required
6 bedroom sets and 5 livingroom sets are put in?

Bedroom sets requires 21 m^2 of space & living room sets requires 42 m^2 of space, & the total area is 546 m^2.
Area of the left part : 546-(21+42) = 483 m^2

sorry but i stil do not understand how to figure out the number of both that needs to be sold

483 sq ft is left after the 21 bedroom and 42 living room are sold.

next step?

thank you

tamiatha said:
sorry but i stil do not understand how to figure out the number of both that needs to be sold

483 sq ft is left after the 21 bedroom and 42 living room are sold.<< How did you get that?? Please show work.
next step?

thank you

NO; not 483.

These MUST be present (so says your problem):
Bedrooms: 6 * 21 = 126
L rooms: 5 * 42 = 210

546 - 126 - 210 = 210

So you're left with an area of 210 to "fill"; so 10 Bedrooms or 5 Lrooms will do it;
or a combo.

So what's next?

Denis said:
NO; not 483.

?
You multiplied the number of bedrooms example by its area/?

Aladdin said:
Denis said:
NO; not 483.

?
You multiplied the number of bedrooms example by its area/? << Yes - to calculate the amount of area it will occupy.

Aladdin said:
Of course, Aladdin; READ the problem:

a furniture store displays bedroom sets which requires 21 square meters of space and living room sets which require 42 square meters of space. the store,which has 546 square meters of available space, wants to display at least 6 bedroom sets and at least 5 living room sets.

It CLEARLY states there MUST be at least 6 Bedrooms (so 6 * 21) and at least 5 Lrooms (so 5 * 42)

Denis said:
Aladdin said:

It CLEARLY states there MUST be at least 6 Bedrooms (so 6 * 21) and at least 5 Lrooms (so 5 * 42)
Ohh, yep yep thats right .