Regression = and graphing

Ellen Kennedy

this problem has 6 parts to be graphed. Sales = $0.15 x number of e-readers sold -$28

Question #1 Using the graphing program www.padowan.dk/graph, graph the sales equation. Discuss the meaning of the x- and y-axis values.
Question #2 Based on the results of the graph and the sales equation provided, discuss the relationship between sales and number of e-readers produced (Hint: Consider the slope and y-intercept).
Question #3. If the company doesn't sell a single e-reader, how much is lost in sales? Mathematically, what is this value called in the equation?
Question #4. If the company sells 5,000 e-readers, how much will the company make (or lose) in sales?
Question #5 If sales must equal 100 thousand, how many e-readers will your company need to sell? (Round up to the nearest e-reader).
Question #6. If your company is hoping to break-even, how many e-readers will need to be sold to accomplish this? (Round up to the nearest e-reader).

I hope someone can help me with this as soon as possible, I have ben working on this for a week and several days with no luck. Thanks

this problem has 6 parts to be graphed. It looks like only one graph to plot, the one in question #1.

The discussion part in question #1, as well as all of the remaining questions, require only some knowledge of definitions and some algebra (i.e., substituting numbers for symbols and evaluating).

Sales = $0.15 x number of e-readers sold -$28

Question #1 Using the graphing program www.padowan.dk/graph, graph the sales equation. Discuss the meaning of the x- and y-axis values.

The part in blue above wants you to explain what's being measured on each axis. Do you have any experience using an xy-coordinate system?

For this exercise, you can let y = Sales and x = number of e-readers sold. Since neither of these two quantities can be negative, your graph need only show Quadrant I and the positive x- and y-axes.

Perhaps, rather than me typing a bunch of stuff that you've already figured out, it would be better for you to show us what you've already worked out over the past week and several days.

If you can ask direct questions about specific parts where you are stuck, that, along with your work, are the best ways for us to see where to begin to help you.

Cheers ~ Mark

By the way, beginning with algebra, we rarely use the letter x as a multiplication symbol because that letter is almost always used as a symbol (variable) that represents some number.

You can type an asterisk, instead, to show multiplication; that's the same way that we tell most computer programs to multiply:

Sales = 0.15 * number of e-readers sold - 28

Last edited:
number of e-readers sold

number of e-readers produced

Numbers sold is not the same as numbers produced; maybe "produced" is a typographical error.

I think that I misinterpreted "sales" in this exercise, yesterday.

I posted earlier that "sales" could not be negative, but I noticed today that "sales" will be negative until enough e-readers are sold for those 15-cent amounts to reach $28.

I'm not sure that I fully understand the meaning of "sales". Maybe, it means revenue or profit.

Also, you typed "regression" in your subject line, and I'm not sure about the meaning of that (as it pertains to this exercise), either.

this problem has 6 parts to be graphed. Sales = $0.15 x number of e-readers sold -$28

Question #2 Based on the results of the graph and the sales equation provided, discuss the relationship between sales and number of e-readers produced (Hint: Consider the slope and y-intercept).
Question #3. If the company doesn't sell a single e-reader, how much is lost in sales? Mathematically, what is this value called in the equation?
Question #4. If the company sells 5,000 e-readers, how much will the company make (or lose) in sales?
Question #5If sales must equal 100 thousand, how many e-readers will your company need to sell? (Round up to the nearest e-reader).
Question #6. If your company is hoping to break-even, how many e-readers will need to be sold to accomplish this? (Round up to the nearest e-reader).

I hope someone can help me with this as soon as possible, I have ben working on this for a week and several days with no luck. Thanks

If you cannot do one line of work after the help that has been provided - you need face-to-face assistance.

To get some more "passive" assistance, you may want to use google.

Question #1 Using the graphing program www.padowan.dk/graph, graph the sales equation.

Ellen, You have essentially been given the equation you need to graph. Let Y be sales revenue/profit or loss (in dollars). Let x be the number of units sold. The equation is simply

y = .15x - 28

Just plot this on the graph and study it. What do various parts of the graph mean? What does it mean when x = 0 and y = -28? What does it mean when y = 0 and x = 186.7? What does it mean when the line is above or below the x axis?

This is what I have so far

Question #5If sales must equal 100 thousand, how many e-readers will your company need to sell? (Round up to the nearest e-reader).

# 2. my slope is.15 and my y intercept is going to be -28.
# 3. 0.15*5000=$750-$28=$722

I need help with #'s 4, 5, & 6 please

# 3. 0.15*5000=$750-$28=$722 This belongs with question #4.

In question #3, the value of x is zero.

I need help with #'s 4, 5, & 6 please

In question #5, the value of y is given as 100000. They want you to solve for x.

In question #6, "break even" means that the value of y is zero. They want you to solve for x.