intermediate algebra - word problems (linear equations, 2 unknowns)

samara3939

a landscaping company placed two orders with a nursery. the first order was for 13 bushes and 4 trees, and totaled &487. the second
order was for 6 bushes and 2 trees, and totalled &232. the bills do not list the per-item price. what were the costs of one bush and one
tree ?
(has to be resolved using systems of linear equations. with 2 equations and method of solution)

ok, i understand now that i need some showing of the work. can you help me to start this at least. please let me know if you think i am
posting this in the wrong section. thanks for viewing it and maybe i am lucky and someone will help a little or a lot. thanks you guys ;-)

Last edited:
a landscaping company placed two orders with a nursery. the first order was for 13 bushes and 4 trees, and totaled &487. the second
order was for 6 bushes and 2 trees, and totalled &232. the bills do not list the per-item price. what were the costs of one bush and one
tree ?
(has to be resolved using systems of linear equations. with 2 equations and method of solution)

ok, i understand now that i need some showing of the work. can you help me to start this at least. please let me know if you think i am
posting this in the wrong section. thanks for viewing it and maybe i am lucky and someone will help a little or a lot. thanks you guys ;-)

You haven't shown us any work.....

I'll see if I can get you started.

Let b = cost of one bush
Let t = cost of one tree

Ok...you know that the bill for 13 bushes and 4 trees was $487. So,

13b + 4t = 487

Now...can you make an equation for the second bill?

And when you have TWO equations in two variables, you have a system of equations that you can solve. I ASSUME that solving systems is something you've been studying in class.

We need to see some effort on your part, and some indication of where you are "stuck."

thanks so much for your help. i went to the math lab and had all my problems resolved with a tutor. will keep you in mind for next time.......thank you very very much.

for using algebra word problem Let b = cost of one bush
Let t = cost of one tree
13 bushes and 4 trees was $487. So,
6 bushes and 2 trees, and totalled &232.

13b + 4t = 487 then replace the coefficient of( t ) and divided the4t= 487/13

so use second equation by using 6b+2t=232 then 2t=232/6