Use the given number game to answer the following question.

Post #9 has my full answer.
Following lev888 directions.
I have to go now
I will answer anything tomorrow.

You wrote
1) \(\displaystyle y=(x+5) 4-12/4\)
2) \(\displaystyle y=4x+20-12/4\)
3) \(\displaystyle y=4x +8/4\)
4) \(\displaystyle y=x +2\)

In your 1st line you denoted to ONLY divide the 12 by 4. So why in your 2nd line did you divide the whole 1st line by 4?
In your 2nd line you denoted that you are only dividing the 12 by 4. How did 20 - 12/4 = 8/4??
In your 3rd line you denoted that you are dividing just the 8 by 4. Why in the 4th line did you dived the whole 3rd line by 4?

You should not do any Algebra until you can do arithmetic. You need to learn how to identify terms and factors!

I divided the the whole numerator by 4. Just simply did not show. You all advised me not to do la tex notation now. I divided by 4 the whole thing. Try to use the toggle function and the $$ but did not work out. Did something wrong .
I can devote some time to la tex if you say so.
I know how to work the symbols and the order of Operations.
Mostly, I may make a mistake but not often.
Just test me.

You constantly make arithmetic mistakes!

You do not have to know latex. You were already told this.

1) y=((x+5)4−12)/4
2) y=(4x+20−12)/4
3) y=(4x+8)/4
4) y=x+2

No latex was used. Can you say p-a-r-e-n-t-h-e-s-i-s?

Okay I'll keep it in mind for next time but I did it right. Why would I lie to you?.
Thanks. Got it.
It is just the approach to how to analyze it. I need to continue doing Algebra. I'm studying it every day. Doing stuff is how you learn, so runs an old axiom. Practice makes perfect. I feel I am doing much better than when I started
Test me. Give me a test. Algebra 1. And see how I score

I'm watching and studying an Algebra 1 course. 7 hours of Algebra!. Chock-full of exercises.

Watching math help videos too
Quality of sound is not good but the content and explanations are very good.

A wise Chinese said: "Knowledge is tested from practice".
I believe it.

But I will describe what I do from now on when I know you may be in doubt about the grouping symbols

Okay I'll keep it in mind for next time but I did it right. Why would I lie to you?.
Thanks. Got it.
It is just the approach to how to analyze it. I need to continue doing Algebra. I'm studying it every day. Doing stuff is how you learn, so runs an old axiom. Practice makes perfect. I feel I am doing much better than when I started
Test me. Give me a test. Algebra 1. And see how I score
You were given a test and you got 3 out of 6 correct which is 50%. I gave you one extremely simple problem and you got it wrong.

OK, I will give you an arithmetic exam. Let's see how you do.

1) Compute 8(5-2) + 5*4/2
2) Compute 6(7-0)/3 + 3
3) Compute -7(9 -15)/6+1
4) Find 10% of 80
5) Find five pairs of numbers that add up to 5

Good Luck

8(5-2) + 5*4/2
8(3)+10
=24+10
=34

6(7-0)/3 + 3
6(7)/3+3
42/6
=7

-7(9-15)/6+1
= -63+105/6+1
=42/7
=7

10% of 80
= 8
(10/100)× 80

Five pairs of numbers that add up to 5
0+5
5+0
1+4
4+1
3+2

You said "add up". That is why I did not include for example
6-1=5

And this was done on my cell because I am at my in-laws, but I have become so good at simplifying algebraic expressions that sometimes I do not believe it myself. Lol
These ones you posted were so so easy.
I have dealt with much worse.

Out of carelessness I may make a mistake but that is not often at all.

I'll be looking forward to some doozies from you. I know you can make them difficult
Lay it on me. To honor the truth, these one do not do justice at all to the amount of time I am devoting to working with equations in general. I have my own journal with notes and everything.

You constantly make arithmetic mistakes!

You do not have to know latex. You were already told this.

1) y=((x+5)4−12)/4
2) y=(4x+20−12)/4
3) y=(4x+8)/4y
4) y=x+2

No latex was used. Can you say p-a-r-e-n-t-h-e-s-i-s?
To clear something up about what we were talking about the 4 not dividing the whole equation.
If you care to look at post#8 you will find it there. I explicitly said: the 4 is dividing the whole equation

I'm letting no grass grow under my feet. Next week I am finishing an entire college algebra course. 7 hours of Algebra. My goal Be done with it next Sunday!

8(5-2) + 5*4/2
8(3)+10
=24+10
=34------------------Correct

6(7-0)/3 + 3
6(7)/3+3
42/6
=7--------------------Incorrect (There is no division by 3+3=6)

-7(9-15)/6+1
= -63+105/6+1
=42/7
=7--------------------Incorrect (There is no division by 6+1=7)

10% of 80
= 8-------------------Correct
(10/100)× 80

Five pairs of numbers that add up to 5
0+5
5+0
1+4
4+1
3+2
I did ask for pairs of numbers like 0,5; 5,0; 1,4...I will accept this as correct

In the end you got 3 out of 5 which is 60%. That is a C- grade. How can you do algebra if you are not good at arithmetic.
In total you were tested on a number of problems (I think 16). You got 8 out of 16 correct. This is 50%. There is nothing wrong with being at 50%. You just need to study arithmetic more before moving onto algebra. You are awful at doing what you refer to as order of operation problems. Again, nothing wrong with this, but you need to do more problems and get better at them.
Happy New Years

The same for you!. I will keep studying
I will also have the video you sent me as support.
One thing I am not clear about:

You say there is no division in #2 and #3. How come?.
Isn't that division bar dividing the numerator and denominator. Should I left it at the sum then?.

Eddy

One of the things that is confusing about a site like this is that each helper has his or her personal way to explain things. You have two choices: listen to one of us, or find what is common among us.

The great Khan asks “what is the FIND.”

Lev asks “what is the result.”

I say “what are the unknowns, how do you label them, and how do you express what you know about them in mathematical notation.”

All of those are really getting to the same point with different words. You are given in this problem a starting number that is UNKNOWN. You are asked to determine the number that is the result of doing certain operations on the unknown number. That result is, at least initially, also UNKNOWN. So lev and I immediately are talking about x and y or p and q or u and v. Two unknown numbers. Let’s arbitrarily pick x and y.

[math]y = \{ (x + 5)4 - 12\} \div 4.[/math]
Do you agree that is the translation of the game into mathematical notation?

Can you simplify that?

New topic. A lot of practical math involves sophisticated methods of guess and check. The field is called numerical methods. But the reason to study algebra is to avoid ANY KIND of guess and check. Moreover, this kind of problem cannot give ANY numerical result because we have two unknowns and only one equation. Algebra is a process for avoiding guess and check. Moreover, the answers proposed do not specify any numbers.

This is a different kind of problem. You are given a generic relationship and asked to find a simpler generic relationship. What SK calls the find here is not a number at all. The FIND is an equation.

Y=5+3=8×4=32
This is not what I meant by y=?
I'll clarify. You are given steps that apply certain operations to x, producing a result, y. Those steps are equivalent to an expression, e.g. add 1 to x is x+1. I'm looking for an expression equivalent to the first 2 steps.

This is not what I meant by y=?
I'll clarify. You are given steps that apply certain operations to x, producing a result, y. Those steps are equivalent to an expression, e.g. add 1 to x is x+1. I'm looking for an expression equivalent to the first 2 steps.
please, lev, would you mind going back to post #17 and tell me if what I did there is correct, if not, please, let me know where the fault is.

please, lev, would you mind going back to post #17 and tell me if what I did there is correct, if not, please, let me know where the fault is.
In 17 the order of operations you are actually performing does not correspond to the written expression. Please fix one or the other.