Need help with graphing natural base exponential and logarithmic functions BY HAND

GrannySmith

I don't understand how one is supposed to graph NATURAL BASE exponential functions and logarithmic functions by hand? How the heck is this even remotely possible.

For example, f(x) = (1/4)e^x

Alright, I get that there is a point at (0,.25) but aside from that, I don't have the slightest CLUE on how the rest of the graph looks, only the general shape. I'd need a calculator to even approximate them. If any of you guys have some tips or tricks to help me out, I'd love to know.

I don't understand how one is supposed to graph NATURAL BASE exponential functions and logarithmic functions by hand? How the heck is this even remotely possible.

Alright, I get that there is a point at (0,.25) but aside from that, I don't have the slightest CLUE on how the rest of the graph looks, only the general shape. I'd need a calculator to even approximate them. If any of you guys have some tips or tricks to help me out, I'd love to know.
Were I doing the problem, I would assume that a calculator could be used to get the values, i.e. (1, 0.68) for example. You just couldn't use a calculator to do the graph.

Of course if you have a teacher that expects you to find a table of natural logarithms and use those rather than a calculator, well good luck.

BTW: I forgot to ask over what range. If it were from say, 0 to 0.1 you could use the approximation
ex ~ 1 + x + x2/2
and, of course you could use ex = (ex/2)2 to extend the interval and continue from there.

As you stated you know the general shape of the graph so all you need is two points. I would always use the x values that make the power equal to 0 and 1 (as Ishuda suggested). In your case that is when x=0 and x=1. The y values will be (1/4) and (1/4)e. So label your y-axis by one-quarters-- 1(1/4) or 1/4, 2(1/4) or 1/2, 3(1/4) or 3/4. 4(1/4) or 1,,,. Now since e~2.718, we know that e(1/4) ~ 2.718(1/4) which is in between 2(1/4) and 3(1/4)-actually closer to 3(1/4). Now plot those two points and graph your exponential function.