I finally know Calculus!

ninguen

After Months of busting my butt, I've finally self-taught myself calculus by going through Schaum's cover-to-cover. Obviously, I'll need to review and practice my skills over time, but at least I now know the mechanics and hae some practice in applying them.

I jut want to say thanks for all of your help during my learning process. This is just the beginning for me.

I might follow this up with some geometry, differential equations, and linear algebra to round out my skillset. But I'm hoping these will be much easier than the calculus I've just been through. (Afterwards, maybe get into some electricity and magnetism)

• So what motivates you guys?
  • Why do you spend your time correcting people's homework and answering the same questions 20 times per day?
  • What's the story behind this site?
  • What are your recommendations for someone who wants to grow their knowledge in this area?

Keeps us off the streets ;)"

well thats an eye opener about you guys lol.
truth is, i can imagine the amazing feeling the tutors here feel when they impart the knowledge they have and help others understand, so thank you!!!

I'll bite...

So what motivates you guys?
  • Why do you spend your time correcting people's homework and answering the same questions 20 times per day?
  • What's the story behind this site?
  • What are your recommendations for someone who wants to grow their knowledge in this area?

Encouraging students of mathematics is a worldwide necessity. Too many teachers and too many cultural barriers scare too many people away. We're the non-scary ones who will care about your progress. Also, the rise of on-line studies has made other assistance necessary. Not every student learns the same way. Our volunteers offer quite varied views.

Growing? You got through Schaum? Okay, now go buy a real textbook and do it again. Get it stuck in your head before attempting to move on. Schaum probably showed you a lot of mechanics. Now is the time that you should start understanding what it is you are doing.

My views. I welcome others'.

Last edited:
Encouraging students of mathematics is a worldwide necessity. Too many teachers and too many cultural barriers scare too many people away. We're the non-scary ones who will care about your progress. Also, the rise of on-line studies has made other assistance necessary. Not every student learns the same way. Our volunteers offer quite varied views.

Well that's very selfless of you. Thank you for your dedication and your service.

Growing? You got through Schaum? Okay, now go buy a real textbook and do it again. Get it stuck in your head before attempting to move on. Schaum probably showed you a lot of mechanics. Now is the time that you should start understanding what it is you are doing.

I think that's an excellent suggestion. I think I might order a textbook once I finish my current reading list.

Recently finished a college statistics problems book, and I'm a good chunk of the way through the Schaum's college physics right now. I hope to run into some physics calculus soon so I can see how this all stuff applies to the real world. So far, it's all just abstract skills with no real-life application to me.

I never had the discipline or patience for this stuff when I was in high school. Was too busy chasing girls. Now that I'm older, my whole mindset is different and I digest it much more easily. Feels like I'm doing crossword puzzles.

I'll bite...

Encouraging students of mathematics is a worldwide necessity. Too many teachers and too many cultural barriers scare too many people away. We're the non-scary ones
Hey, speak for yourself. I like to think I'm very scary!

who will care about your progress. Also, the rise of on-line studies has made other assistance necessary. Not every student learns the same way. Our volunteers offer quite varied views.

My views. I welcome others'.

Fair enough. Do you have "Abandon hope, all ye who enter here!" painted over your classroom door?

Truthfully, I may have the current record for hurting peoples' feelings on this board. In any case, for those who stick with it, seek to learn, and just answer the questions asked, it is a pretty safe place to hang out.