Pie Chart - Word Problem

G

In 1995, the population of the United States was 262,755,000. It was estimated tht the plastic waste perperson per day was 0.40lbs. Based on this estimated daily amount, how many lbs of plastic did the average person throw away that year?

Pie Chart: Plastics 9.1% 19.0 million tons for the year of 1995

Please simplify if you can.

The first answer is
population*(pounds per person per day)*(days per year)

I'm not sure what you want from us in the pie chart part.

The pie chart only shows the percentages and tons of different types of waste for the year 1995, such as:Glass 6.2% 12.8 million tons, Metals 7.6% 15.8 million tons, Plastics 9.1% 19.0 million tons; etc.

It doesn't list the days of the year, but I know there are 365 days a year and I used the equation you gave me, but they're saying the answer is 146lbs. I'm just trying to figure out how they got the answer. The examples in the book are too elaborate, and not enough detail.

Sorry 'bout that. Someday I'm going to learn to read. I gave you total garbage. The 19 million tons they told you. :oops:
I should have said
(pounds per person per day)*(days per year)
gives pounds per person per year.
.4*365 = 146 lbs.
Or you could divide the 19 million tons by the population. Same answer.

Thank You.

Sorry for not giving you all the information before. I thought you wouldn't need it.

Nay, nay! You done good. I saw the population figure (which I didn't need) and automatically assumed "total trash" instead of the "individual trash" you clearly asked for. As I said, someday I hope to become literate.
-----------------
Gene