Two Straight Roads

G

Two staight roads intersect at point A. The highway surveyor measured the angles formed at that intersection. If the measurement of <WAX is 120^0(degrees), what is the measurement in degrees of <YAX?

W<--------------Y is one straight road and X------------Y intersects in the middle of WY creating a point of intersection A.

I'm sorry, but I don't follow your description. You say you have two lines, XY and WY, with XY intersecting XY at A. But since Y is a common point, XY and WY must intersect at Y. So Y = A...? And with Y having to be the intersection point, it can't be on the side of one of the angles, can it?

Please review the exercise and reply with clarification. Thank you.

Eliz.

Hello, Caramelluv4u!

I must assume that you have a typo.
As stated, the problem doesn't makes sense, as stapel pointed out.

Two staight roads intersect at point A.
The highway surveyor measured the angles formed at that intersection.
If the measurement of <u>/</u>WAX is 120°, what is the measurement in degrees of <u>/</u>YAX?

W--------Y is one straight road and X--------Z intersects in the middle of WY at A.
If you look at the diagram, the answer should be obvious . . . or not.

. . . W* . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . *X
. . . . . . * . . . . 120°. . . .*
. . . . . . . . . * . . . . . *
. . . . . . . . . . . A * . . . <--- ??
. . . . . . . . . * . . . . . *
. . . . . . * . . . . . . . . . . . *
. . .Z* . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .*

*X
W* * * * * *A * * * * * *Y
*Z
WAX 120 degrees, what is the measurement in degrees of YAX?

______(120)/__________

a straight line = 180 degrees, CaramelSundae;
so if there are 2 angles and one is 120, then..........????

LOL, You got jokes. The angles listed in the book is similar to the one in your last message. When I sent this one it didn't look like that before I submitted it. So, yes the angles that you drew are similar, but line W is staight, running from left to right; with Y at the end, and A being the intersecting point in the middle. Then line X crosses through that at an angle, with Z at the end.

Angle WAX is 120 degrees, and they want to know the angle of YAX. The book says the answer is 60 degrees, but I'm not sure how they got the answer, because the book is not that explanitory.

Your problem has to be the drawing. Denis gave such a hint! Try
Code:
               X
              /
             /
            /
       120°/ ?
W_________A__________Y
         180°

(I clicked twice on the C(ode) button then typed between the boxes.)