2 column proof question

Zman

hey everyone i have a question about a two column proof. The second reason in the proof is incorrect and i cant understand why. please help me! Given: KJ is congruent to HJ this is about a 70 degree angle with H,J,and K as the most vertical points on one side of the angle and the horizontal end point on the bottom is M. Statement 2- J is the midpoint of HK. Reason 2- If a point os the midpoint of a segment it divides the segment into two congruent segments.(what is the correct reason?) this seemed like a correct reason to me considering that J is clearly in the middle of H and K and HJ AND KJ are congruent. Thanks- zman

Zman said:
hey everyone i have a question about a two column proof. The second reason in the proof is incorrect and i cant understand why. please help me! Given: KJ is congruent to HJ this is about a 70 degree angle with H,J,and K as the most vertical points on one side of the angle and the horizontal end point on the bottom is M. Statement 2- J is the midpoint of HK. Reason 2- If a point os the midpoint of a segment it divides the segment into two congruent segments.(what is the correct reason?) this seemed like a correct reason to me considering that J is clearly in the middle of H and K and HJ AND KJ are congruent. Thanks- zman
Beats me - it is a definition of midpoint:
The midpoint, M, of a line segment AB is the point between A and B such that AM = MB.
Your reason is correct unless H, J & K are not on the same line.