Difficult Riddle/Problem involving logic

radronOmega

Hey guys, i've been trying to do this hard problem for the entire weekend and now I need the hep of you guys because it's due tomorrow and all i've got so far are some hints. I haven't connected anything yet and it's frustrating me. :cry: Could anyone show me how to get the answer, not only writing down the answer because I want to know how to solve this type of problem. Thanks!!!

Some women from the district attorney's office went out to dinner last night. Elizabeth, Gladya, Barbara, and Virginia and Gwendolyn were their names, and each ordered a different main course. Steak, ham, chicken, pork, and lamb were the only main courses on the menu. Each women also ordered mashed potatoes, salad, and a different vegetable. The five vegetables on the menu were peas, carrots, corn, squash, and spinach. What main course and vegetable did each woman have?

1. The woman who had steak and corn sat on the left of Elizabeth and on the right of Gwendolyn.

2. The woman who had chicken doesn’t play cards but the woman who had ham, the woman who had squash, and Barbara played bridge yesterday with Gwendolyn.

3. The woman who had squash did not have it with pork; Virginia did not order pork either. The woman who had ham was recently married to Elizabeth’s brother’ the woman who had squash helped Elizabeth wrap her present.

5. Glady’s and Gwendolyn’s vegetables begin with the same letter as do the vegetables of Elizabeth and Barbera.

so far I have...

Virginia has pease

Barbera has steak and corn

Gw. and glad. have spinach/squash

if that helps..

Are we to assume they sat in a row, like at the counter, instead of in a circle, like at a table?

Eliz.

Elizabeth - Chicken and Carrots
Gladya - Lamb and Squash
Barbara - Steak and Corn
Virginia - Ham and Peas
Gwendolyn - Pork and Spinach

Disagree; I get:

Elizabeth - Chicken and Spinach
Gladya - Lamb and Squash
Barbara - Steak and Corn
Virginia - Ham and Peas
Gwendolyn - Pork and Carrots

5. Glady’s and Gwendolyn’s vegetables begin with the same letter as do the vegetables of Elizabeth and Barbera:

Barbara/Elizabeth: Corn/Spinach
Gwendolyn/Gladya:Carrots/Squash

But I guess it depends on how you interpret "as do"; I'm assuming it does not mean "also".

No,

5. Glady’s and Gwendolyn’s vegetables begin with the same letter as do the vegetables of Elizabeth and Barbera.

Means Glad and Gwen's vegies have the same letter(ie Spinach and Squash). Eliz and Barb's vegies begin with the same letter.

Your answer is definately fualted.