math algebra

rachael zukowski said:
Help I need a lot of help here is my math problem
12-9 16-12
_____ + ______
8 / 12 64 / 2
Rach
Looks like (12 - 9) / (8/12) + (16 - 12) / (64/2)

Start by simplifying each term:
12 - 9 = 3
8/12 = 2/3
16 - 12 = 4
64/2 = 32
so we now have:
3 / (2/3) + 4 / 32 : you still with me?

simplify again:
3 / (2/3) = 3 * 3/2 = 9/2
4 / 32 = 1/8
so we now have:
9/2 + 1/8

9/2 = 36/8; so we now have:
36/8 + 1/8 = 37/8

Did you follow all that?
QUESTION: do you listen in class? or watch the boys?

Hi thankyou for the help only confused on one issue th / between the 8 and th 12 to include the 64 and the 2 stands for divided by that makes it a little more tricky can you still help?

Hello, Rachael!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8
The 8/12 is a fraction: ---- . . . and that's why there is a division.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .12

:D thank you so much, sorry it took two people to help me understand you are great, thankyou again for the help :wink:

Two answer your question, there are no boys worth watching in my class....I do pay attention, My teacher just did not explain how to do a problem with fraction line .

Denis, just relax with those comments, ok? This is a MATH FORUM, remember? Let's not make people feel uncomfortable. Another comment like that and you will get detention! :wink:

happy said:
Denis, just relax with those comments, ok?
It's nice of you to make the suggestion (thank you!), but, according to another male tutor, men can't help themselves. Their targets need to make allowances.

Eliz.

happy said:
Denis, just relax with those comments, ok? This is a MATH FORUM, remember? Let's not make people feel uncomfortable. Another comment like that and you will get detention! :wink:

Ah c'mon happy: you're just jealous because you didn't make
the comment YOURSELF!

"The adult with nary a smile
is but the skeleton of his inner child"

Hey, I'll take detention if it's with stapel;
we can play "spin the bottle" and I'll win every time :lol:
if it's with soroban, I'll shoot myself!

Denis said:
"The adult with nary a smile
is but the skeleton of his inner child"
Maybe, but a sense of humor is not what makes an adult; a sense of "when and where" might.

Eliz.

I agree with you, stapel! If I were that child's parents, and I saw what Denis wrote, I'd be very upset. The tutors, especially, are "ambassadors" for this site and they should conduct themselves with dignity at ALL times.

I will, from this moment on, conduct myself with absolute dignity,
and smile twice weekly, and never wonder again if boys/girls
look at girls/boy, or other similar instances of wonderment.

Denis said:
I will...never wonder again...
There's no need to pout: Wonder about sex all you like -- inside the privacy of your own skull. But -- out loud, with underage children about -- please stick to tutoring.

Thank you! :D

Eliz.

This is Rachaels mother writing this responce my daughter just turned 12 and this is her first year attending a regular school and only twice a week she is home schooled, so she still has no intrest in boys, any way I feel 12 is far to young

Again, Rachael's mom, we apologize for the behavior of a certain member of this board. It shouldn't have come to this, but I hope you and your daughter will continue to come here for any math help you may need.

I'd also advise that, in the future, your daughter not use her "first name and last name" when creating a screen name on a message board.

"QUESTION: do you listen in class? or watch the boys?"

That was meant purely as humor:
if you 2 (stapel and happy) see more than that, YOU are the sicko's!

Plus I didn't see any "concern" in the mother's post (IF it was her).

And I don't see your names as moderators...

I had thought this was just an accidental lapse, an oversight of the possible age of the poster, but now I'm starting to worry....

Eliz.
not a moderator; just a mom

Damn it, Eliz, can't you SEE I was only trying to joke/tease?

I've been doing tutoring for over 3 years, at various sites, and NEVER
have been accused of anything like what you and happy are inferring.

I'll agree that I'm sometimes sort of trigger-happy with humor, and will
do my best to be more careful...

I've always thought HIGHLY of you, like the way you handle problems;
but not so with our Mister happy, who seems to be constantly "lurking"
in the background, stepping in now and then with a "holier than thou"
attitude and absolutely no help to the students.

Denis, not a moderator, but:
a widower, father of 2
grandfather of 2

Yes, it really was her mother who made the last post.... I really was not upset about the coment, it seemed a little strange but I always sit with her while she is on line so I was not worried about any strange behaivor how ever this post seem's to be getting out of control... and probably should be ended my Daughter's response was in defence she takes her work to heart and even ended up crying her self to sleep because she felt stupid that she could not figure out the answer... she was thrilled for all the help you provided. However with the way this post got out of control she will not be using this site with her name on it instead we created a new one under a new name and will continue to get help when needed please let's put this matter to sleep....so to speak, and move on to the next question.