basic operations with polynomials

Princezz3286

Here is the problem, can somebody please show me how this is done I haven't been in highschool for years and I need to practice some problems like this for entrance exams and I just dont understand!!!!!!!! :cry:

* Which of the following expressions represents the product of 3 less than twice xand 2 more than the quantity times x

A: -6x^2+25x+6
B: 6x^2+5x+6
C: 6x^2-5x+6
D: 6x^2-5x-6
E: 6x^2-13x-6

Do it in bits.

They give you the variable "x".

How would you write "twice x"? (Hint: What would you do to find "twice (any given amount)"?)

How would you write "three less than" twice x? (Hint: What would you do to find "three less than (any given amount)"?)

I'm not sure where to go from there, because I think there's a typo in the rest of the exercise. You've posted "2 more than the quantity [no quantity included] times x".

Please proof and reply with corrections and with the expression you got for "three less than twice x".

Thank you.

Eliz.

I just don't understand, because I checked and double checked and I typed the exact problem from my practice worksheet? I guess this one is un solvable? Not enough information.

Thank You,
Heather

Princezz3286 said:
Here is the problem, can somebody please show me how this is done I haven't been in highschool for years and I need to practice some problems like this for entrance exams and I just dont understand!!!!!!!! :cry:
* Which of the following expressions represents the product of 3 less than twice xand 2 more than the quantity times x
A: -6x^2+25x+6
B: 6x^2+5x+6
C: 6x^2-5x+6
D: 6x^2-5x-6
E: 6x^2-13x-6
"the product of 3 less than twice x and 2 more than the quantity times x"
Well, we know that this is what is asked:
(3 less than twice x) times (2 more than the quantity times x) = ?
This one is clear: 3 less than twice x = 2x - 3
This one isn't: 2 more than the quantity times x

But from the "choices" given we can tell that this will be 3x : 3x times 2x = 6x^2;
(choice A is impossible with -6x^2)
so 2 more than the quantity times x = 3x + 2

So we now have:
(2x - 3)(3x + 2)
= 6x^2 - 5x - 6 = choice D

Now why they didn't say "2 more than 3 times x" is beyond me :shock: