Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: phpBB3 Upgrade Coming Soon

Administrator

phpBB3 Upgrade Coming Soon

Hi guys, hope everyone is having a good summer so far!

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have setup the next version of this forum software at http://www.freemathhelp.com/phpBB3

If you are interested, check it out and let me know what you think. I finished setting up the LaTeX today, so that should work. There's a lot of new features in this version, including lots more administrative and moderator controls.

Any feedback, positive or negative is very helpful.

Thanks,
    Ted

Administrator
    Oh, and you'll notice that it's full of messages from here, but it is NOT the same database, so feel free to make as many test postings as you'd like. Once it goes live in a week or so I will update it to match whatever is on here at that time.

Ted

Elite Member
    Yes, Ted, you're a good egg. I like. It now has features I have noticed on other forums this one has lacked.

I like it, however it feels a bit cramped. Right now I'm on my parent's computer which has a small resolution monitor (SVGA), but I'm sure it would look nicer on SXGA or better.

I also don't care for the brownish-gray colored box for quotes. The way the forum is now I feel it is very readable and the newer one seems less so (mostly due to the colors, I think). Just my opinion.

Hey Ted, good work.

I like the theme, it goes well with the rest of the freemathhelp page. (although I would much prefer a separate forum apart from the freemathhelp index..to give it a little more room. This current forum just seems a little more comfy...but the new layout is nothing we can't get used to.

The user of the post on the right side is a little annoying...might just be me.

You might want to enable entire topic/thread bar to be clicked, instead of just the hyper links... makes it easier than moving the mouse all the way over to the "Calculus" or "Advanced algebra" links.

Also, if you can, you might want to throw in a nice blue image favicon.ico file...something that stands out for bookmarks / tabs.

Thanks for a great site!

Cheers,
    John.

Administrator
    I like it, however it feels a bit cramped. Right now I'm on my parent's computer which has a small resolution monitor (SVGA), but I'm sure it would look nicer on SXGA or better.
    It depends on what you mean by SVGA, but if it's 800x600 then there's not a ton I can do to space it out. I will try at different resolutions before I launch it for good. It should definitely be fully functional at 1024x768. I see that 11.93% of my visitors this month use 800x600 so I want it to be reasonably useful at that resolution, though.

I also don't care for the brownish-gray colored box for quotes. The way the forum is now I feel it is very readable and the newer one seems less so (mostly due to the colors, I think).
    I also like the colors on the current board. Perhaps I can tinker a little with the new boards.

I like the theme, it goes well with the rest of the freemathhelp page. (although I would much prefer a separate forum apart from the freemathhelp index..to give it a little more room. This current forum just seems a little more comfy...but the new layout is nothing we can't get used to.
    This is a tough call for me. Part of me wants it better integrated so new visitors won't feel like there are two separate parts of the site, but I know it's mostly wasted space for forum regulars. Worse case I can always make two separate styles so you can have the option.

The user of the post on the right side is a little annoying...might just be me.
    You're not the only one here. I'll look into changing this, I doubt it's that hard. But I've read a lot of comments on phpBB.com expressing the same opinion. I'm ambivalent because I think it might actually make the focus more on the post, which is probably a good thing.

You might want to enable entire topic/thread bar to be clicked, instead of just the hyper links... makes it easier than moving the mouse all the way over to the "Calculus" or "Advanced algebra" links.
    Agree 100%. I figured I wasn't the only one annoyed by this behavior!

Also, if you can, you might want to throw in a nice blue image favicon.ico file...something that stands out for bookmarks / tabs.
    Good thought.

Thanks a lot guys, keep em coming! I'll do what I can and get back to you. There's no rush to jump to the new program.

Ted

Show the users that are viewing a thread you are in.. and have their name italic or red to show that they are creating a post.... like IPB

Would this be possible with phpbb?

Hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by jwpaine
    .. and have their name italic or red to show that they are creating a post.... like IPB

Hopefully.
    I would like that but sometimes people are only helping on one problem on one post so it would be more beneficial if there was a more specific way to communicate. Is that possible? Any advancement would be good though.
    Try your best in everything and don't be scared to do something different.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy
    Quote Originally Posted by jwpaine
    .. and have their name italic or red to show that they are creating a post.... like IPB

Hopefully.
    I would like that but sometimes people are only helping on one problem on one post so it would be more beneficial if there was a more specific way to communicate. Is that possible? Any advancement would be good though.
    Well phpbb isn't exactly the best forum software out there, hehe... It would be nice to get this site moved over to invision power board...there are good communication tools built into that. It does cost money though.

We have almost 10k registered users.....it's not up to me but phpbb really isn't the best way to go..for a growing site. I'm sure we can do a donation to get the money to buy it.

(I'm prob going to get a slap for saying this.....) Oh well...I tried.

I'm on a Mac....the new format looks good to me.

And for the posters who've suggested "better" software that "costs money," maybe they could chip in from their allowances.