Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Features In vBulletin

Lightbulb Features In vBulletin

On the old system, people wishing to view the LaTex coding in a post would need to click "reply with quote" to see the coding.

Now, we right-click on a LaTex expression, and a context menu appears. Select "Show Math As" and then "Tex Commands".

A new window displays the coding. Try it, below.

[tex]\dfrac{x}{x + 4} = e^{x}[/tex]
    Last edited by mmm4444bot; 10-18-2012 at 12:48 AM. Reason: MathJax installation

On the old system, one could edit their post without the system appending a post-has-been-edited-by-author notice, as long as nobody had yet replied.

On vBulletin, the system seems to give you a short grace period (a few minutes?) for editing without appending the notice. If you edit after the grace period expires, the system will append the notice regardless of whether someone has replied.

There is a new feature, too.

If you click the post-has-been-edited notice, you'll have an opportunity to compare versions.
    Last edited by mmm4444bot; 07-04-2012 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Formatting changes

While composing a message, in-line image attachments can now be dragged-and-dropped to new locations within a post.

This feature is especially handy, when trying to add text below a trailing in-line image, as sometimes the insertion point cannot be moved beyond a trailing in-line image.

In other words, your added text will sometimes be automatically inserted before the image. After adding that text, you may then drag the image to appear before the text, instead.
    Last edited by mmm4444bot; 08-14-2012 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Formatting changes; grammar

On the old system, when changing text color, one would need to first highlight the text and then open the color menu to select the new color.

On vBulletin, changing the text color for the first time causes the drop-down-menu button's arrow to become highlighted with the "current" color.

This allows one to highlight future text and change to the current color without using the drop-down menu; simply click the letter "A" on the button, and the highlighted text or your new typing will change to the currently-indicated color.
    Last edited by mmm4444bot; 07-08-2012 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Added clarification about "new typing"

We can now upload a "profile picture" that appears whenever someone clicks on our username.

Check out mine! An aquaintance sent it to me; he calls it "Mad Mark", heh, heh.

You upload your picture through the "Settings" link (upper right, next to "Log Out" link).

On the Settings page, look for the link titled "Edit Profile Picture" in the lower box on the left side of the screen.
    Last edited by mmm4444bot; 08-08-2011 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Added link location information

Elite Member
    Nice tutorial, Mark.... really appreciate it...
    “... mathematics is only the art of saying the same thing in different words” - B. Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Subhotosh Khan View Post

Nice tutorial, Mark.... really appreciate it...

One is pleased to be of service.
    I hope that other users will add their own tips and tricks, too.

If you want to delete a previously-attached image, then hover the mouse pointer over the thumbnail in the attached-images section (click the [Manage Attachments] button to get there), and an [X] button will appear in the upper-right corner (as shown below).

delete.jpg

NOTE: The reason why this thumbnail displays my screenshot at "full size" is because I enlarged the display by 200% before taking the screenshot. In other words, I uploaded a huge image; click the image to see the actual size. Uploading huge images is sometimes a workaround to make an in-line thumbnail readable as is. I say "sometimes" because, if your image is too big, vBulletin will shrink it anyway.

EDIT: Ted has since increased the image-size limits. If your image is not larger than 350 pixels in either dimension, then the image will attach at full size (i.e, not as a clickable thumbnail). Larger images attach as thumbnails on which viewers must click to see the full size.
    Last edited by mmm4444bot; 08-14-2011 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Added navigation information; used purple pencil

Administrator
    Glad to see this list of useful new features. Thanks for the work, mmm444bot!

Hovering the mouse pointer over many links or clickable icons provides a pop-up description. If you're not sure what something does or means, try hovering the mouse pointer over it.

For example, hover the mouse pointer over the dot to the right of my username in this post (it may be a small green dot or a small open, black circle), and see what happens.
    Last edited by mmm4444bot; 08-11-2011 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Added example and corrected spelling errors