Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You know what we need?

Administrator

You know what we need?

We need a way to indicate if someone is already working a certain problem. I notice a lot of times that people are working on solutions simultaneously and both people post without realizing the other person already did. It's not a problem to have more than one solution presented (in fact it's better), but it would certainly be faster for everyone if we had some kind of system to indicate that someone is working on a long problem.

Just an idea if anyone has a suggestion.

Ted

Maybe (somehow, i know nothing about web design) that threads currently being worked on can be marked red. You know how read threads are grey and new ones are blue? Then again, that's kind of automated, I don't know how you would go about doing that.

Just a thought.

It appears to be close. There is a "users brousing this forum" when you click on a catagory (e.g. calculus) which might be extendable to topics. I usually check that before I start, but I'm a slooow tyypppiiiissssstttt.
    I would like "last visit" time manually updateable. I've never figured out what causes it to be changed and would like to be able to move it back. There used to be a "last 24 hours" button (which didn't work with WebTV) that would be an alternative.
    ----------------------
    Gene
    I hope this helps. If you need more, come back with a post-reply.
    You are better off putting problems in the general areas. More people are avauilable to answer them there.
    Gene

Administrator
    There ought to be a way that someone can click a topic and then click another link to "checkout" the post for the next 10 minutes or so. This is a very common practice in software development and web design so that you don't end up with two people working on the same code at the same time. One person uploads their changes and wipes out the changes of the other person. I'll look into this.

Elite Member
    Having someone else post right behind or right before me does not bother me. I often will delete a posting of mine if I think it is too much of duplication.

What does bother me is that after some hours have passed since a perfectly good response has been given, someone will post another and sometimes a more detailed answer. It is as if the person has not even checked to see if anyone else has even attempted an answer. I would like to see all of us at least read the thread to see if there is any need to proceed with a posting.
    “A professor is someone who talks in someone else’s sleep”
    W.H. Auden

G'day fellas.

At a local site I post on, the teachers and I post "Reply pending" as soon as we begin a reply. That way, the help is spread around and no duplicate posts occur.

It's slightly different here as people's credentials are not known but if one of yourselves, Soroban, Eliz, apm, Denis, Dan, TK, Galactus et al use this it would, of course, be fine.

pka: I have deleted my posts before too but you don't mind?! "Meh, that's only half an hour of my life, no biggy"?

Just a suggestion; I doubt it will be taken on board - you never know, it might even p*** some people off.

Administrator
    Here's another idea:

Would it be good to have a private, invitation only forum where the regulars here can discuss various issues privately? Or would this create potential for conflict?

I see no problem with that, Ted.

Angry

(originaly posted by Unco)Just a suggestion; I doubt it will be taken on board - you never know, it might even p*** some people off.
    Realy? U do know that kids use this site for help, and maybe look @ a thread like this. And u do know that most parents dont like there kids saying that P-word. Dude, u are a bad influence.
    Last edited by lillybeth; 11-26-2012 at 12:40 PM.
    Never Give Up... Even in Math - Grandma Ashley

Quote Originally Posted by lillybeth View Post
    Realy? U do know that kids use this site for help, and maybe look @ a thread like this. And u do know that most parents dont like there kids saying that P-word. Dude, u are a bad influence.
    Lilybeth

That entry is seven years old. How did you even find it? Let's worry about issues that are a tad more current.