Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Linear Equations: Slopes!

Help! Linear Equations: Slopes!

ok...so, I have this problem....stuff like {(-1,-1),(0,0),(1,3),(2,6)}
    And I have to determine the slope of these multiple points and graph them.
    (here are the exact directions: Determine the slope of the line passing through the points whose coordinates are listed in each table. Graph.)

Alrighty, graphs are my favorite! First of all, you only need two lines to find the slope without even graphing! Isn't that neat?

Let's see..the example you gave. Let's take two of those points (-1,-1) and (0,0).
    . . .
    If you have used [tex]\L{}m=\frac{y_1-y_2}{x_1-x_2}[/tex] yet, then you can just sub in the points like so:
    . . .
    [tex]\L{}m=\frac{(-1-0)}{(-1-0)}[/tex]; [tex]\L{}m=\frac{-1}{-1}=1[/tex]
    . . .
    So, that means [tex]\L{}m=1[/tex] and since m is your slope, 1 is the slope of your line.
    . . .
    If you haven't heard of this formula before, then simply plot all of those points and connect them to make the line. Then, just see how far up (this is the top of the fraction or "the rise" and will be positive if you are going up and negative if you are going down.) you have to go from one point to the next and then how far left (which will be a negative number in the bottom half of your fraction or "the run") or right (which would be a positive number in the bottom).
    . . .
    Did I answer anything for you? If I was too confusing or didn't answer your question, please just let me know and I will explain better.
    -Lizzie

ohhhhh.....kk thank you so much.

If you need more help, I have a site for you to check out.
    http://www.purplemath.com/modules/slope.htm
    Actually, our site's very own (quite popular) Ms. Eliz Stapel runs the site. She is a genious! She is a professional tutor, so you should be able to get some very good information from her site. Check it out!
    -Lizzie

lol thanks, Im sure i will be going there in the future, but your explination is the one i needed for right now! thanks. :P

Ok, I thought for a minute there that I hadn't helped you, but rather confused you instead. lol. Good luck!
    -Lizzie

lol , nah you didn't confuse me, lol ty.....night, noe i have to finish HW

ok,one more question, I have four y values, and four x values, do i just line up all of the yvalues like this: 5-8-6-9 and then under that the x values like this: 5-9-3-0?

[/u]

If they are given to you in any specific order, I would think that you would have to graph them as such...not sure, sorry.
    -Lizzie

To be able to help you a bit better than that, I'd need a full out problem.
    -Lizzie