3D projection matrix: Why isn't my 'simple' matrix enough, and what exactly does this real matrix do (better) relative to my matrix?

RMalachi

Hi all,

Currently, I'm very interested in 3D to 2D projection, but I'm quite new to using matrices with this calculations. The question I have now is as following:
When I try to figure out a way to do 3D projection, I first tried to do 2D to 1D projection to get the concept right. That seems very simple: let the origin be the 'center of projection' O(0, 0), place the 1D projection plane on a certain positive x value and every point (for simplicity only in x positive) can be projected unto the projection plane by drawing (calculating) a line to through this point and the origin. Then find the y value with the x of the projection plane. See the image below:
1711099040166.png
The calculation for this looks like:
1711102723029.pngP * A = X and then do homgeneous division.

An example of this with 3D projection is:
1711102469883.png

This looks all fine, but now my question is... Most 3D perspective projection matrices take into account FOV, perspective angle, far/near plane etc. Such a matrix looks like:
1711102740323.png

Why isn't my 'simple' matrix enough, and what exactly does this real matrix do (better) relative to my matrix? If some one could explain this 3d projection without a matrix (just using regular algebra) would be very helpful! That way I can better understand whats going on exactly. If possible use a 2D to 1D example for simplicity.

Thanks!