Simplification problem

sardion2000

Most simplification is pretty easy for me at least, but I'm having trouble with this one problem, any help will be appreciated like always ;)

Simplify:

(2a-3)/5 + (3a+2)/10

the /5 and /10 denotes that this is a fraction simplification problem.

Do I combine like terms sort of like this?

2a+3a=5a?

Would the answer be

5a-1/15?

Can you remember how to add \(\displaystyle \mbox{ \frac{1}{2} + \frac{3}{4}}\)?

This is no different. Establish a (lowest) common denominator among the two fractions, and then add.

sardion2000 said:
Most simplification is pretty easy for me at least, but I'm having trouble with this one problem, any help will be appreciated like always ;)

Simplify:

2a-3/5 + 3a+2/10

the /5 and /10 denotes that this is a fraction simplification problem.

Do I combine like terms sort of like this?

2a+3a=5a?

Would the answer be

5a-1/15?

You really need to be VERY CAREFUL about how you type your problems here. I think that this is what you mean:

Code:
2a - 3      3a + 2
------  + ----------
   5            10

You can only add or subtract fractions with the same denominators. The common denominators for these fractions is 10. You will need to multiply both top and bottom of the first fraction by 2:

Code:
2(2a - 3)       3a + 2
----------  +  ----------
   2(5)              10

4a - 6            3a + 2
--------   +   ----------
   10               10

Ok....now the denominators are the same. Add the numerators and put the result over the common denominator. Simplify the result if possible.

Mrspi yeah that is how the problem is typed out on my worksheet. Thx you were a big help :)

SO the way I'm understanding this the answer would be....

(7a-4)/10

Correct?

Just for the record, what you should have typed is
(2a-3)/5 + (3a+2)/10
any time there is a grouping you must/should show it.
----------------
Gene

sardion2000 said:
Mrspi yeah that is how the problem is typed out on my worksheet. Thx you were a big help :)

SO the way I'm understanding this the answer would be....

(7a-4)/10

Correct?

Abaolutely!