square roots

G

I don't know what the 1 in this equation is for. Could someone please help.

1+-square root of 2

Argetlam said:
I don't know what the 1 in this equation is for:
__
1+-\/2
I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing an "equation" here. Is the "+" supposed to be the "="? Where is the variable? Are the two slashes meant to be a square-root sign, so "\/2" means "sqrt[2]" or "\(\displaystyle \sqrt{2}\)"?

Please reply with the full and exact text of the exercise, the complete instructions, and a clear (step-by-step) listing of what you have attempted thus far.

Thank you.

Eliz.

square root symbol

how do you type the square root symbol in these messades?

To learn how to format, please follow the links in the "Forum Help" pull-down menu at the very top of the page.

"Karl's Notes" teaches how to use straight text, and is probably the simpler route to take. The LaTeX information takes longer to learn, but does allow for nicer formatting.

By the way, "LaTeX" is pronounced "LAY-teck"; the "X" is, I believe, actually a Greek letter "chi", pronounced "kiy".

Returning to the issue of the exercise, please reply with the complete text and instructions.

Thank you.

Eliz.

I'm sorry you're right. It's an expression not an equation. I'm supposed to use a calculator or a table of square roots to evaluate the expression. Then round the results to the nearest hundredth. Also the + sign is supposed to be over the - sign, and it's the square root of 2. I can't give a step-by-step of what I've tried because since I wasn't able to figure out what the 1 in the expression is for I wasn't able to figure out the rest.

Thanks,
Argetlam

So follow the instructions: Find the approximate value of sqrt[2], and then add this to or subtract this from "1".

Eliz.

Find the value of \(\displaystyle \sqrt 2 = 1.4142\), then add that to 1 and then subtract from 1.