two questions about precision of measurement

shannon4

:D
I would appreciate some help here:

1. Amy's temp. is 98.6 degrees F. What is the precision of this temperature reading?

2. If precision is + or - 1/2 the smallest unit of measure, what is the LEAST possible length for 6.5cm?

1) What is your book's definition of "precision"?

2) What does your book mean by "unit of measure"? Does this refer to the half-centimeter value in "six and a half centimeters", or "centimeters" itself?

When you reply, please include your thinking on these exercises.

Thank you.

Eliz.

My book doesn't have a definition regarding precision. I do have an answer in the answer key of: + or - .5 and 6.55 However, in my thinking, if the precision accuracy is given in the tenth's position, how can the answer in the answer key be given in the hundreth position. I would have the answer be 6.1. As for the question regarding temperature, I don't see that enough information is give to have the problem solved.

shannon4 said:
My book doesn't have a definition regarding precision....in my thinking, if the precision accuracy is given in the tenth's position....
Think about looking at the thermometer. It is calibrated by degrees and the drug-store thermometer you've got under your bathroom sink, meant for measuring your body temperature, is subdivided into tenths. That is, the most accurate marking on your thermometer is one-tenth of a degree.

Take your temperature. The result will be given to the nearest tenth of a degree. But does that mean that your temperature was exactly 99.3°? Or that, to the nearest tenth of a degree, your temperature was 99.3°?

While you're having a little lie-down, think about the limitations of the equipment. Your temperature, to the nearest tenth of a degree, was 99.3°, but that only means that your actual temperature was somewhere between 99.25° (and rounded up) and 99.34° (and rounded down). Your temperature could have been ±0.05° in either direction from 99.3°.

The result you got was accurate within the limitations of the equipment; it was not an absolute measure.

For further information (since your book does not discuss the topic), try doing a search for "precision", "accuracy", "measurement", and/or "significant digits".

Eliz.