SALES

grandmaster297 said:
sales tax- please help
Please post the full and exact text of the exercise, the complete instructions, a detailed description of any required table or graphic, and a clear listing of all of the steps you have tried thus far.

Thank you.

Eliz.

grandmaster297 said:
thanks for replying but i dont get the basics
Please define what you mean by "basics". Are you not familiar with how sales taxes work? Do you not know how to compute percentages? Something else?

We can try to find some online lessons for you (since we cannot teach courses here), but it would be helpful if you narrowed down what you're looking for.

Thank you.

Eliz.

grandmaster297 said:
I dont know how to compute sales :(

A sales tax is a part of the price added on to the cost. It's found by multiplying the tax % (as a decimal) times the cost of the item. The resulting amount is added to the cost to get the final cost plus tax.

Example: A shirt for $24.00. Tax is 6.75%.

cost ---> 24.00
times % x.0675 [6.75% = .0675 by moving the decimal 2 places left]
tax 1.62

final cost: $25.62 (24.00 + 1.62)

TchrQbic

there is no sales tax on clothes

im a noob so im sorry if i am wrong but i am pretty sure

Sorry if i did anything to offend you

sagar1127 said:
TchrQbic

Sagar, what are you talking about?

sagar1127 said:
TchrQbic

Sagar, I would HOPE you understand that TchrQBic was giving an example of how one calculates sales tax.

Whether or not there is a sales tax on clothes, food, or other items depends on the particular state or municipality in which one lives.

In my state, there IS a tax on clothes. Food may or may not be subject to a sales tax....in the town I live in, food is not taxed, but in the neighboring community 7 miles down the road, it is.

TchrQBic's response was totally accurate as an explanation of how sales tax is calculated (and the particular type of item sold doesn't really affect anything....the method is correct.)