Square roots

MatthewMM

Could someone help me with square roots. I have looked on many different site and I can't find what I'm looking for. If anyone could please give me a good site that explains square roots I would appreciate it. If I have numbers with different roots how do I add them? EX. 5 SQRT 4 + 6 sqrt 3. How do I simplify? Also sqrt of 75/25. I can't find any explainations!

MatthewMM said:
Could someone help me with square roots. I have looked on many different site and I can't find what I'm looking for.
I'm surprised that you weren't able to find any information online appropriate to your topic, which appears to be the simplification of radical expressions. For instance, I would have thought the following to be apropos:

. . . . .Math For Morons Like Us: Simplification of Square Roots

. . . . .WTAMU: Lessons 37-41 (bottom of the page)

. . . . .The Math Page: Simplifying Radicals

. . . . .Square Roots

Please kindly clarify the topic on which you are working, or the difficulty you are having. Including the full statement of the exercise, the complete instructions, and all the steps you have tried thus far would likely be very helpful in explaining the difficulty you are experiencing.

Thank you for your help.

Eliz.

well for starters.....

square roots are a fractional exponent--> to the 1/2 power.

in your problem where you are dividing two square roots, since they are the same exponent, divide first. if you can simplify after, more power to you.

some algebra problems are just a test to see if you understand what you can or can't do. the square root of 4 you can simplify, the square root of 3 you cannot.

you are allowed to add square roots if they have the same value, otherwise there is nothing else you can do. just because there is an addition sign doesn't mean you can add anything. if addition is the process of combining items that are the same.

then....

if they are not the same, can't add.

hope this helps....

Thanks for the websites. They helped a great deal. PLease check behind me. Would the sqrt of fraction 75/25 be sqrt 3? Also in the book it says to do sqrt fraction 11/16 by making the top and bottom sqrt 11 over sqrt 16 and then the top would be sqrt 11 over 4. Is that right? Thanks for youe help!