word problem involving points

Obsession

Consider the line segment whose endpoints are at (7,7) and (13,-2). There are two positions along this segment that cut it into two smaller segments whose respective lengths are in the ratio of 2 to 1. Through each of these two points lines are drawn through a third point (5,3).

Those two lines cross the line whose equation is x = 0 in two distinct points, respectively. What is the length of the segment formed by those two points?

---
i would have tried to solve this, but i have no clue what its even asking me.

--------
also does anyone know where i can find this:
As we all know, the ratio of the cirumference of a circle to its diameter is represented by the greek letter pi. The ratio of the length of a rectangle to its width is represented by another greek letter. what is that letter?

well......since they have given you coordinates, it would be an excellent idea to graph all the coordinates first.....before you do anything else. you know, one study tip is to draw a picture :idea:

Hello, Obsession!

Of course, you made sketch, didn't you?

Consider the line segment whose endpoints are at \(\displaystyle A(7,7)\) and \(\displaystyle B(13,-2).\)
There are two positions \(\displaystyle P\) and \(\displaystyle Q\) along this segment that cut it into two smaller segments
whose respective lengths are in the ratio of 2 to 1.
Through each of these two points lines are drawn through a third point \(\displaystyle R(5,3).\)

Those two lines cross the line whose equation is \(\displaystyle x\,=\,0\) in two distinct points, respectively.
What is the length of the segment formed by those two points?
Code:
        |                           * A(7,7)
        |
        |
        |                   R               * P(9,4)
        |                 (5,3)
        |                                           * Q(11,1)
    - - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - 
        |
        |                                                   * B(13,-2)
        |
Point \(\displaystyle P(9,4)\) divides \(\displaystyle AB\) so that \(\displaystyle \,AP:pB\,=\,1:2\)
Point \(\displaystyle Q(11,1)\) divides \(\displaystyle AB\) so that \(\displaystyle \,AQ:QB\,=\,2:1\)

Find the equation of the line through \(\displaystyle P\) and \(\displaystyle R.\)
Find the equation of the line through \(\displaystyle Q\) and \(\displaystyle R.\)

These two lines have y-intercepts, \(\displaystyle M\) and \(\displaystyle N\), respectively.

Find the length of line segment \(\displaystyle MN.\)

As we all know, the ratio of the cirumference of a circle to its diameter
is represented by the Greek letter \(\displaystyle \pi\)
The ratio of the length of a rectangle to its width is represented by another Greek letter. ?
What is that letter?
Obviously, a rectangle does not have a constant length-width ratio.
Does the problem refer to a "Golden Rectangle"?

Well good thing is that i had drawn a graph, i just didn't know what to do with it.
----
Okay, I'm not sure if I did this right, so please don't hurt me if its wrong.

A(7,7)
B(13,-2)
P(9,4)
Q(11,1)
R(5,3)

Equation: y = mx + b or Ax+ By = C
--
P and R

4-3 / 9 - 5 = 1 / 4
y= 1/4x + b
3 = 1/4(5) + b
3 = 1 1/4 + b
1 3/4 = b
y = 1/4x + 1 3/4
or
-x +4y = 5

--
Q and R

1 - 3 / 11 - 5 = -2/6 = -1/3
y = -1/3x + b
3 = -1/3(5) + b
3 = -1 2/3 + b
4 2/3 = b
y = -1/3x + 4 2/3
x + 3y = 14
----

Before you start yelling at me, I know its prob. wrong.

What do i do after that?

-------
Yeah, it does refer to the golden rectangle