Solving Rational Equations

kourtrj_2

Does anyone have ANY tips on how to do this? I missed a week of school and now I am completely lost on what to do. I have the general idea...I think. If anyone could help me...I would be forever grateful!

kourtrj_2 said:
Does anyone have ANY tips on how to do this? I missed a week of school and now I am completely lost on what to do. I have the general idea...I think. If anyone could help me...I would be forever grateful!

How to "do" what? Your topic says "solving rational equations," but we have learned that the topic posted doesn't necessarily represent what a student needs help with!

Please post an example of a specific problem you're having trouble with, and show us how you have tried to solve the problem (you say you have the "general idea"....let us see what you mean by that!)

We can't teach whole subjects, or even topics here....we do best at dealilng with specific problems. Show us one, and we'll be happy to try to help you.

EXAMPLE:1/x=1/4-x
first you have to find the least common factor (LCM) and it is x(4-x)

next you multiply the LCM on both sides like this: x(4-x) . 1/x= x(4-x) . 1/4-x

then you write the equation simplified again like this:4-x=x
.............................................................................. 4=2x
...............................................................................2=x
so x=2

hope this helps you get the idea of solving rational equations!!!!!! :D

-jose

Personally, I'd very first worry about the Domain.

x ≠ 0 and x ≠ 4

Not everyone agrees with this at this level. A good substitute is to CHECK your answer before you think you are done.

As you have done neither of these safety checks in the demonstration you provided, I'm worried about your result.

* Check the Domain
* Work the Problem
* Check the Answer

Very reliable.