trig substitution: int [ x^3 / sqrt[x^2 + 4] ] dx

cheffy

integral of x^3/sqrt(x^2+4)

I substituted x=2tan(y) in and i got down to 8*integral of tan(y)^3*sec(y) but I don't know where to go from here (or if that's right). Thanks!

You're down to:

\(\displaystyle \L\\8\int{tan^{3}(y)sec(y)}dy\)

Factor out tany

\(\displaystyle \L\\8\int{tan^{2}ytan(y)sec(y)}dy\)

\(\displaystyle tan^{2}(y)=sec^{2}(y)-1\)

\(\displaystyle \L\\8\int{(sec^{2}(y)-1)tan(y)sec(y)}dy\)

Let \(\displaystyle u=sec(y), \;\ du=sec(y)tan(y)dy\)

\(\displaystyle \L\\8\int{(u^{2}-1)}du\)

After you integrate, resub. If you want it in terms of x again,

Use \(\displaystyle sec(y)=\frac{\sqrt{x^{2}+4}}{2}\)

Actually, you need a hyperbolic substituion: x = 2sinh(y). Remember that the denominator of the integral is square rooted - if this wasn't the case then the arctan substitution would be the correct method.

I respectfully disagree. Why would you need a hyperbolic substitution?.

Trebor said:
would be the correct method.
What? I would be rather surprised to find a textbook with this terminology. If we were to define a "correct method", I think it would be more like this, "It produces the desired result and the student understands it."

square rooted
Is that a verb? There is no need to make communication even more difficult than it is already.

Here's why:

Derivation of the derivative of arctan(x):

\(\displaystyle y=arctan(x)\)
\(\displaystyle tan(y)=x\)
\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}sec^2(y)=1\)
\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{sec^2(y)}\)

\(\displaystyle 1+tan^2(y)=sec^2(y)\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{1+tan^2(y)}=\frac{1}{1+x^2}\)

So you cannot substitute using y=arctan(x/2).

Derivation of the derivative of arsinh(x):

\(\displaystyle y=arsinh(x)\)
\(\displaystyle sinh(y)=x\)
\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}cosh(y)=1\)
\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{cosh(y)}\)

\(\displaystyle 1+sinh^2(y)=cosh^2(y)\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+sinh^2(y)}}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+x^2}}\)

And that is why you need this hyperbolic substitution y = arsinh(x/2). And also why it is the correct method, as it obtains the correct answer.

Secondly, I can't see the problem with "square rooted". If you'd rather say "the denominator is raised to the power of a half", then by all means you do that. Personally, I don't think it's a problem.

You do not need hyperbolics. The method I outlined results in the correct answer without resorting to hyperbolics. Also, a clever u-substitution may work well.

Agh, sorry I did not realize. I was taught that expressions of that type were integrated with arsinh. I can see know that both methods are valid - sorry for the agro.

Try making the substitution u = Sqrt(x² + 4)

then... x² = u² - 4
and ... du = (x * dx)/Sqrt(x² + 4)

Therefore your intergral is |(u² - 4)du

=)

Trebor said:
Secondly, I can't see the problem with "square rooted". If you'd rather say "the denominator is raised to the power of a half", then by all means you do that. Personally, I don't think it's a problem.
I dare you to find it in a text book - even one. How about, "Well, spank me into Thursday! There's one o'them dang square roots thingys down thar, Fellers!" You are free to be as low with your language as you like in your personal papers. If you wish to communicate with the rest of the world, you may wish to upgrade just a bit. That's all I'm suggesting.

tkhunny said:
How about, "Well, spank me into Thursday! There's one o'them dang square roots thingys down thar, Fellers!" You are free to be as low with your language as you like in your personal papers. If you wish to communicate with the rest of the world, you may wish to upgrade just a bit.

... smile when you talk thataway, pardner! :wink:

Thanks all of y'all for your help! I didn't mean to cause all of that debate, though.

=D

No worries on the "debate". If you don't assume any hostility and realize we're a pretty friendly group, it's all good.