What is your math orinentated career / hobby?

jwpaine said:
I joined this forum to help strengthen my math skills as a high school student. I have developed an interest in mathematics and am looking into starting a degree in mathematics this fall.

There are many high posters here.... what is your math orientated career or hobby?

I plan on staying here to help develop better tutoring skills as I begin to take more advanced classes beyond precal. I'm curious to know, what do you do?. :p

Thanks, John.

Theoretical physics. When I explain maths, I give the perspective from our field and explain the methods we use which are often far superior (and easier to use) to what students in high school and even the first years of university are taught. :D

Count Iblis said:
Theoretical physics. When I explain maths, I give the perspective from our field and explain the methods we use which are often far superior (and easier to use) to what students in high school and even the first years of university are taught. :D

Wow. I looked at one of those "Mathematical Physics" jornals yesterday... Very scary stuff.

Use a rotating magnetic field to focus a narrow beam of gravitons. These in turn fold space-time, consistent with the Weyl tensor dynamic, until space-time curvature becomes infinite and you create a singularity.
:D

galactus said:
Use a rotating magnetic field to focus a narrow beam of gravitons.

Thats a sinch. Tried it last week. Discovered a few multiverses not yet known, but nothing worth bragging about.

I avoided math through highschool and held off from taking it as long as I could, until I had to start the calculus series for a computer sci major. After Second semester calculus I change my major to math... a whole new way of looking at the world. The only down side to math now is, whenever I learn something really cool and I want to talk about it with someone, there really arnt that many people out there that want to listen to you bable on about numbers. Hopefully when I transfer to state from community college next semester there will be some clubs and more people who are passionate about this stuff.

tkhunny said:
jwpaine said:
My friends always tease me and say, "why would you ever want to be a math major..thats crazy!!"
I believe it is a matter of believability. Let me explain...

In singing, most folks hear someone sing and think to themselves, "That isn't so hard. I might venture."

It is a little unusual for a singer to evoke the response, "Whoa!! I NEVER could do that."

Unusual - but not impossible - Pavaroti or Ella Fitzerald or Sarah Vaughn does that to me.

Strange - you picked music - I get that feeling mostly in music. I get goose bumps listening to Cannonball Aderly, Coletrain and think "I can never do that..."

So I sort of know I can't do that.....

Incedentally - my little son is a very good singer - and has declared me as tone-deaf....

Being only in g8, I dislike math for 1 reason: im simply not good at it. It`s not like sports to me, where you can just practice. In math it seems like you are either born with good problem solving skills or you aren`t.

For example, we are doing pythagoras in class, I understand it. BUT, SOME word problems on it I cant solve and there is nothing I can do as I already know pythagoras, I just dont see a solution to some problems.

bazookaworm said:
Being only in g8, I dislike math for 1 reason: im simply not good at it. It`s not like sports to me, where you can just practice. In math it seems like you are either born with good problem solving skills or you aren`t.

For example, we are doing pythagoras in class, I understand it. BUT, SOME word problems on it I cant solve and there is nothing I can do as I already know pythagoras, I just dont see a solution to some problems.

If interest is present, than math skills will get better with maturity; some people are just not mentally ready to develop good math skills are lower grade levels, and most learn it when they need it which is too bad. I was never up to par in math compared to other students, when I was your age... but I had an interest in learning it and 5 years later I'm planing on majoring in it at my university. As long as you get the help you need to get decent grades in your class and have the motivation to do the work, the skills will come on their own.

John.