What is your math orinentated career / hobby?

jwpaine

I joined this forum to help strengthen my math skills as a high school student. I have developed an interest in mathematics and am looking into starting a degree in mathematics this fall.

There are many high posters here.... what is your math orientated career or hobby?

I plan on staying here to help develop better tutoring skills as I begin to take more advanced classes beyond precal. I'm curious to know, what do you do?. :p

Thanks, John.

TK, at this one: http://www.beanactuary.org/
...are you the guy in 2nd picture (wearing glasses) :?:

jw, I'm a retired financial analyst;
my math is High School only, plus what I picked up on my own;
went back to math 5 years ago (to keep busy: retired and widower within a year).
So whatever "tutor help" I'm able to give is not too "high".
Math was "my 1st love".
I also happen to have the greatest grandson on the planet :wink:

Denis said:
TK, at this one: http://www.beanactuary.org/
...are you the guy in 2nd picture (wearing glasses) :?:
No. I don't show up on film. I can't think if any online photos. Ah, well, wouldn't want to scare people.

Insurance company remains the most common place to find actuaries, but they are sprouting wings and sticking their hands in all sorts of practices.

I didn't get an interest in math until I started surveying in the late 80's. There I taught myself the trig and geometry used in that field. I later went to school with the intention of majoring in computer science, but once I tool Calc I was hooked. I went on to get a degree in math. I now teach Intermediate algebra and Stats at a two-year college. As for math hobbies, I always enjoy learning something new. With math there is always something new. I would like to get better at number theory and group theory, but have a rough time putting in the time to self-teach.
I might add, since I have been frequenting this and other sites, I have learned a lot and it has kept my math skills (such as they are) honed.

I'm currently a sophomore in High School and am taking Algebra II. I'm going take Algebra 3 next year and culminate into taking Calculus as a senior. My hobbies are basketball, running, knowledge, reading and fun. I'm in the math club at my school, Mu Alpha Theta. I come here to learn new things and to benefit others.

jonboy said:
I'm currently a sophomore in High School...
My hobbies are basketball,.....
Is that right?
My grandson Tyler (14) is in grade 9, plus also loves basketball;
he's on his school team (grades 9 and 10), plus has recently been
picked (with 10 others) from 12 teams (regular league, season just ended)
to form a competitive team (CGBA Selects; Midgets:14,15) with the
eventual hope of winning top spot in Ontario.

http://selects.cursonweb.com/
click on "contact list": he's at the top of the list.

Denis said:
Is that right?
My grandson Tyler (14) is in grade 9, plus also loves basketball;
he's on his school team (grades 9 and 10), plus has recently been
picked (with 10 others) from 12 teams (regular league, season just ended)
to form a competitive team (CGBA Selects; Midgets:14,15) with the
eventual hope of winning top spot in Ontario.

http://selects.cursonweb.com/
click on "contact list": he's at the top of the list.

Hey that's cool Denis. I'm not so lucky though as I just started playing basketball in high school so I've not been as effective as some other team mates. Either way the experience is fun. I'm gonna run cross country as well, something I'm better at.

jonboy said:
I'm not so lucky though as I just started playing basketball in high school...
Don't let that hold you back: Steve Nash (my hero!) also only started in high school.

Denis said:
jonboy said:
I'm not so lucky though as I just started playing basketball in high school...
Don't let that hold you back: Steve Nash (my hero!) also only started in high school.
I didn't know that; that's some good inspiration. What's you favorite NBA team? Whatever team Nash is on? :p BTW here's a random fact for you: When Nash was in Santa Clara (and he still might do it) on campus he would dribble tennis balls to improve his ball handling. Heard that on NBA Live 2006 or 05.

Yes, the Phoenix Suns: that team "makes" the NBA; unbelievably "exciting",
in a sport that can get pretty boring...

Steve uses the basketball court the same way he used the Soccer field; he even
says he feels like he's cheating by touching the ball with his hands, which is not
allowed in Soccer !

Yes, the Phoenix Suns: that team "makes" the NBA; unbelievably "exciting",
in a sport that can get pretty boring...
Did you follow Nash w/Dallas? I though the Suns were your favorite but wanted to be reassured. Well it's gonna be a good game tonight at 10:30 p.m. (ET) when they face the Lakers. I'll try to stay up that long.
Steve uses the basketball court the same way he used the Soccer field; he even says he feels like he's cheating by touching the ball with his hands, which is not
allowed in Soccer !
Hehe that's neat.

I plan on being a math major with an emphasis in computer science. I want to design algorithms that will be the framework for things ranging from a job working with programmers on data cryptography to getting a job for an airline, writing differential equations for finding fuel usage of jets..... I can't wait to start higher education, I am really excited.

The possibilities for a good math major are endless.

My friends always tease me and say, "why would you ever want to be a math major..thats crazy!!"

I wish more people knew how important math is, and how it is used in so many jobs.

My friends always tease me and say, "why would you ever want to be a math major..thats crazy!!"

I know what you mean. It's amazing how students will revolve their entire future careers around avoiding math; majoring in whatever requires the least amount of it.
:roll:

I have seen students who initially thought they wanted to be engineering majors.
Well, as soon as they hit calculus it's all over. They change to elementary education or whatever has the least math requisites.

Calculus is what peaked my interest in math.

I had used trig and geometry to some extent in real life applications, but calc opened up a whole 'nuther' realm when I was introduced to it.

It's a shame folks don't see math for the beautiful thing it is rather than as a Herculean labor they must endure.

I reckon you either have the knack and interest or you don't.

Everyone is different. Me, I have a negative interest in sports. Always have.
I never could understand the fascination with who is doing what with what ball.
But, that's me.

jwpaine said:
I believe it is a matter of believability. Let me explain...

In singing, most folks hear someone sing and think to themselves, "That isn't so hard. I might venture." It is a little unusual for a singer to evoke the response, "Whoa!! I NEVER could do that." Generally, it is thought that a reasonable person could reasonably pursue singing if such a person had the time and the gumption. My 13 year old daughter had some friends over a few weeks ago. I was invited to sing some bedtime songs. Having sung opera for some ten years now, my lullabys might be a little different than might be expected. The next day, it was reported that one of the visitors said, "I know lots of people who can sing, but not like THAT!" Point being, that there are many who think singing is within their grasp and it takes a very big difference before someone notices that there is a difference between run-of-the-mill and extraordinary.

Math doesnt work that way. At a very early age, kids get a bad message about math. It is perceived as difficult and often impossible. Really, how many times have we seen on this forum, "I have no clue...". It is mostly fear-based. Many, many people are convinced they cannot "do math" and it is, therefore, perceived as utterly ridiculous. When faced with someone who does not have this problem, the fearful have a choice, worship the individual or make fun of the same. Most folks aren't into the worship thing when it comes to their friends and neighbors. It takes very little mathematics ability to impress very many people. Just think of the stupid little algebra problems that occasionally get passed around to impress people - start with your age, multiply it by 2, add 1987, blah, blah, blah. Very often, the fearful many cannot tell the difference between just a little mathematics ability and a truly gifted and talented mind.

Hang in there and don't be afraid to shine.

My views. I welcome others'.

Steve Nash was brought up playing hockey, lacrosse and soccer.

In grade 9, he picked up a basketball.

He could have thought: I'll never try that sissy game...

Then, I would not have watched the Phoenix Suns last night,
and witnessed the most amazing 1st half of a basketball game ever played :wink:

jwpaine said:

I wish more people knew how important math is, and how it is used in so many jobs.

I know what you mean. Whenever people see me on this website and reading a trig book or something...they think I lost it. I'm glad there's people out there like me, who respect mathematics! :D

I've been visiting these forums quite a lot lately.. haven't been posting but I check out the problems that users post and attempt to solve them and expand my knowledge a little. I first became very interested in math my 10th grade year, when I first realized I could make it into a career. I first studied Calculus in high school. I now attend college and study math and actuarial science. It's nice to have found something to study in college that I enjoy doing. Calculus is probably my favorite.

If you're planning to hang with us actuaries, you had better keep your statistics strong. The present syllabus is WAY bigger on it than when I took those exams.

tkhunny said:
If you're planning to hang with us actuaries, you had better keep your statistics strong. The present syllabus is WAY bigger on it than when I took those exams.
Yeah. Thanks for the advice. :)