Sketch two periods of the function y = 2 tan 2x

If you understand the basic function, these do not have to be painful.

y = tan(x) does what? It has vertical asymptotes everywhere cos(x) = 0. Draw a few of those. tan(x) = 1 everywhere sin(x) = cos(x). This is at pi/4 and every pi after that. Draw a few of those. It is zero everywhere sin(x) = 0. That's x = 0 and every pi after that. Draw a few of those. You should be seeing the shape of the thing. Sketch a few periods.

y = 2tan(x) This is just a little vertical stretching. Start with the graph previously described. Erase whatever you labled (pi/4,1) and relable it (pi/4,2). You're almost done. Relable a few more things and move on.

y = 2tan(2x) This is just a little horizontal compression. Start with the graph previously described. Erase whatever you labled (pi/4,2) and relable it (pi/8,2). You're almost done. Relable a few more things and move on.

You ought to have a "graphing calculator" - use it.

If you don't - download one of many free graphing utilities available (e.g. fngraph, graph, etc.). These are very useful and robust.

mrsgigo said:
can someone show me a graph of the sketch?
The point is for you to do it. If you plot all the points I suggested, you should see it taking shape.

i dont know how to graph, and im unable to learn no matter how hard i try.....i believe i have a math block, or some type of damage on the part of my brain that is used for math....thank you for your help tho, i do appreciate it :wink:

mrsgigo said:
i dont know how to graph, and im unable to learn no matter how hard i try.
This should have been caught years ago, back in algebra. I'm surprised nobody pulled you aside and tried to help you back then. :shock:

Unfortunately, your lack of background (working with the x,y-plane; graphing linear, quadratic, etc, curves; understanding functions and their domains and ranges; etc, etc) would require weeks or months of intensive hands-on instruction to remedy. Obviously, this isn't something that can be provided within this environment. Sorry! :oops:

Please consider hiring a tutor, local to your area, and meeting with him a few hours a week (daily would be best). With luck and a fair amount of effort, you may be able to get caught up on only a month or two.

My best wishes to you in your studies! :D

Eliz.