Write program that calculates acceleration of jet fighter

stephanie953

Hi guys. I am doing a program for an computer science class. My program introductory says:

Write a program that calculates acceleration (m/s squared) of a jet fighter launched from an aircraft carrier based catapult, given the jet's takeoff speed in km/hr and the distance (meters) over which the catapult accelerates the jet from rest to takeoff. Assume constant acceleration. Also, calculate the the time (seconds) for the fighter to be accelerated to takeoff speed. For one run, use a takeoff speed of 278 km/hr and a distance of 94 meters.

The paper says the relevant formulas are V=AT and S=1/2ATsquared

I know I have to convert the 278 km and hour to seconds.

To find the acceleration I use the formula
acceleration = velocity/time

To find the time for the acceleration I use
time = 2(distance)/velocity

So do I plug in the 278 km/hr and 94 meters in the second formula to find some of the variables.

Re: Caculates Acceleration

stephanie953 said:
Hi guys. I am doing a program for an computer science class. My program introductory says:

Write a program that caculates acceleration (m/s squared) of a jet fighter launched from an aircraft carrier based catapult, given the jet's takeoff speed in km/hr and the distance (meters) over which the catapult accelerates the jet from rest to takeoff. Assume constant acceleration. Also, calculate the the time (seconds) for the fighter to be accelerated to takeoff speed. For one run, use a takeoff speed of 278 km/hr and a distance of 94 meters.

The paper says the relevant formulas are V=AT and S=1/2ATsquared

I know I have to convert the 278 km and hour to seconds.

To find the acceleration I use the formula
acceleration = velocity/time

To find the time for the acceleration I use
time = 2(distance)/velocity

So do I plug in the 278 km/hr and 94 meters in the second formula to find some of the variables.

Yes ...

but make sure that the units are compatible, i.e., (km and meters) or (hours and seconds) don't mix.

Thanks for the reply. When asking for velocity what units is it in? Is velocity in meters/seconds or is it just in meters?

stephanie953 said:
Is velocity in meters/seconds or is it just in meters?
You might want to review your definitions! :shock:

Isn't "velocity" always in terms of "distance per time"...? :wink:

Eliz.

stephanie953 said:
Thanks for the reply. When asking for velocity what units is it in? Is velocity in meters/seconds or is it just in meters?

Read your problem carefully:

".....use a takeoff speed of 278 km/hr ....."