Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: linear functions and linear equations: 8x-3y=6-4x

linear functions and linear equations: 8x-3y=6-4x

i need major help bc i am not understanding this at all...its very confusing...and i am usually awesome at math....heres an example of what im working with

8x-3y=6-4x

what are you supposed to do with this equation ... i.e., directions?

What are you trying to do? What is the problem in its full extent? Please be specific

If you want to solve for either x or y, than combine like terms on either side, divide, add and subtract as nessesary

well, the instructions say to determine whether each equation is a linear equation, so i have to write this in standard form, along with determining the x and y intercept

So what's the problem?
    Standard form: Ax + By + C = 0 where A, B, and C are numerical values

To find the x-interecept, you set y = 0 in your equation. To find the y-intercept, you set x = 0 in your equation.

yeah i know that, i just cant get it right....can you help me out....give an explanation perhaps?

8x - 3y = 6 - 4x

What don't you understand? Putting it into standard form? Basically, you move everything to one side of the equal sign.

For finding the x-intercept, set y = 0. So from your equation, substitute y for 0 and solve for x.

For finding the y-intercept, set x = 0 and do the same thing again.

well, this is what i got, but i think im still wrong, and still confused...but this is what i got when i moved everything to the other side of the equal side.

y=-2 2/3 x + -2 - 1 1/3 x

did i get that part right?

Not quite. Looks like you need to brush up on your algebra. Also, when I said move everything to one side, I meant EVERYTHING including the y (because there's the 0 on the right side of the equation: Ax + By + C = 0).

8x - 3y - 6 = 6 - 6 - 4x
    8x - 3y - 6 = -4x
    Keep going?

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by c_ortiz92
    well, this is what i got, but i think im still wrong, and still confused...but this is what i got when i moved everything to the other side of the equal side.

y=-2 2/3 x + -2 - 1 1/3 x

did i get that part right?
    What are you doing is beyond me - however I'll do another problem and you follow the same procedure.

13y - 9x = -3y - x - 12

step (1) bring everything to one-side

13y - 9x + 3y + x +12 = 0

step(2) collect similar terms and simplify where possible

16y - 8x + 12 = 0

step(3) simplify further -where possible- by eliminating common factor

4y - 2x + 3 = 0 ..............DONE

In general, you should not have fractions as any of the coefficients (for this form).
    “... mathematics is only the art of saying the same thing in different words” - B. Russell