When you do the KCO method of integers, you see my dilemma

teddybear2525

Hi,

I'm having some trouble in my Pre-Al class and was wondering if anyone can help me. When you do the KCO method or Keep, Change, Opposite (example if the problem is 3+4, ypu keep the 3, change the + to a minus, and change 4 to -4. So it would be 3 - (-4) I know that problem is proabably not right so you see my dilemma!! (lol). Please help me!!!!

Thanks!!!

Re: Integers!!!!! Help!!!!

teddybear2525 said:
Hi,

I'm having some trouble in my Pre-Al class and was wondering if anyone can help me. When you do the KCO method or Keep, Change, Opposite (example if the problem is 3+4, ypu keep the 3, change the + to a minus, and change 4 to -4. So it would be 3 - (-4) I know that problem is proabably not right so you see my dilemma!! (lol). Please help me!!!!

Thanks!!!

Post some actual problems that you are having trouble in solving.

Please show your work/thoughts - showing us exactly where you are stuck/confused - so that we know where to begin to help you.

Re: Integers!!!!! Help!!!!

teddybear2525 said:
Hi,

Thanks!!!

In my experience, that thing you call the KCO method is used to change SUBTRACTION problems to addition. Subtracting a number is the same as adding the opposite of that number.

3 + 4 is already addition....you know how to do the addition. So there's nothing to be gained by changing to "adding the opposite."

Where this method is useful is when you encounter something like this:

-5 - (-9)

KEEP the first number, CHANGE the subtraction to addition, and write the OPPOSITE of the number that came after the subtraction sign:

-5 + 9

Now, you are supposed to know how to do that addition.

Because every subtraction problem can be written as an equivalent addition problem, you can do every subtraction problem using the methods you've already learned for adding positive and negative numbers.