G goes @ 3 mph, returns @ 5 mph; total time 1 hr: find miles

Jade89

I'm sorry, I don't know if I post this in the right group. If I didn't Please excuse me I need help solving this problem. Here is the problem.

Graham walks to school at an average speed of 3 miles an hour and jogged back along the same route at 5 miles an hour. If his total travelling time was 1 hour. What was the total number of miles in the round trip

Re: Can you help me with this problem

Jade89 said:
I'm sorry, I don't know if I post this in the right group. If I didn't Please excuse me I need help solving this problem. Here is the problem.
Graham walks to school at an average speed of 3 miles an hour and jogged back along the same route at 5 miles an hour. If his total travelling time was 1 hour. What was the total number of miles in the round trip

Please show us your work - indicating exactly where you are stuck - so that we know where to begin to help you.

Jade89 said:

Let d = one-way distance between school and home.

Graham walks to school at 3 mph. How long does it take him to travel d miles at 3 mph? Remember that distance = rate * time, so distance / rate = time!!

Graham jogs home at 5 mph. How long does it take him to travel d miles at 5 mph?

Now...

time walking to school + time jogging home = 1 hour

There's a good hint for you.

If you're still having trouble with this problem, please repost showing all the work you have done. Once we see your work, we'll have a better idea of how to help you.

Thanks for teh hint. All I know is Distance = Time * Rate
I need help since my mind does not work at all