Graphing equations and solving systems of equations

towanda_ajt

Hi there,

I am trying to re-take a pre-admission test to get into the local community college. Since classes are out, the tutors they normally have available are gone for the summer. I've never done the stuff they're throwing my way. I'm floundering, People. Hope you guys can help.

Here is a link of what I'm working on: http://myhome.sunyocc.edu/~testones/stb ... ml#GRAPHIN exercises 2 and 3

I'm stuck on graphing a straight line. Trying to figure out 3x + 2y=6 (this is merely one of the equations giving me a hard time) keeps giving me fractions, which I know I'm not supposed to end up with. Other problems have given me lines which don't quite give me a straight line. Don't think that's supposed to happen, either.

So this is what I have:

If x=1, then 3(1) + 2y=6, which turns into 3 + 2y=6. I subtracted 3 from each side. 2y=3. That, of course, gives me a freakin' fraction. I tried using a table and using the intercept method (which I don't understand anyway).

Then there's y=3x - 2. If I use the table method and pretend x=1, y=-1, if x=0, y=-2 and if x=1, y=1. So I try to pretend y=0. That gives me another fraction. Oh bother.

Have at it.

Thanks,
Towanda

towanda_ajt said:
Hi there,

I am trying to re-take a pre-admission test to get into the local community college. Since classes are out, the tutors they normally have available are gone for the summer. I've never done the stuff they're throwing my way. I'm floundering, People. Hope you guys can help.

Here is a link of what I'm working on: http://myhome.sunyocc.edu/~testones/stb ... ml#GRAPHIN exercises 2 and 3

I'm stuck on graphing a straight line. Trying to figure out 3x + 2y=6 (this is merely one of the equations giving me a hard time) keeps giving me fractions, which I know I'm not supposed to end up with Why do you think so - there is no law against getting fractions - neither you are expected to get integer only. Other problems have given me lines which don't quite give me a straight line. Don't think that's supposed to happen, either.

So this is what I have:

If x=1, then 3(1) + 2y=6, which turns into 3 + 2y=6. I subtracted 3 from each side. 2y=3. That, of course, gives me a freakin' fraction (you get y = 3/2 - and it is CORRECT). I tried using a table and using the intercept method (which I don't understand anyway).

Then there's y=3x - 2. If I use the table method and pretend x=1, y=-1, if x=0, y=-2 and if x=1, y=1. So I try to pretend y=0. That gives me another fraction(and again that would be correct). Oh bother.

All I can say - I did not yet see any mistakes in your procedure. Have some CONFIDENCE!!!!

Have at it.

Thanks,
Towanda