FOIL inquiry

turlisk

I'm working with FOIL and when faced with this problem.

2(a^2 + a)(3a^2 + 6a)

i know i would follow the foil steps but at which point would i multiply the equation by 2?

Anytime you want to. Just make sure you do the multiplication correctly. In other words if the problem were 2(a+b)(c+d+f) you could do the multiplication of 2 first getting (2a+2b)(c+d+f) then do the remaining multiplication. Or you could multiply 2(c+d+f) first then (a+b)(2c+2d+2f). Or you could multiply (a+b)(c+d+e) first, then multiply that result by 2.
Take your druthers.

turlisk said:

2(a^2 + a)(3a^2 + 6a)

i know i would follow the foil steps but at which point would i multiply the equation by 2?

Did you - by any chance - start with:

2a(a+1)(3a+6) ?

Subhotosh Khan said:
turlisk said:

2(a^2 + a)(3a^2 + 6a)

Did you - by any chance - start with:

2a(a+1)(3a+6) ?

no the problem i wrote above is exactly how it is listed. i figured it out already though with the answer by loren, Thank you though.

and now i have a new inquiry but i don't know if you use FOIL for this or not.. (x + y)^3 is the exact equation, people were saying use Pascal's Triangle but i have no idea how that works (haven't covered it yet) so any advice on how to solve this one would be great.

Denis said:
turlisk said:
(x + y)^3 is the exact equation, ...
That's not an equation.
What is the question?

Simplify the exponents in each exponent and the problem is (x+y)^3

what would be the easiest way to work on problems such as this?

Denis said:
turlisk said:
The way you were taught by your teacher.

That's not really helping, however that's okay i found my answer already thanks for replying.

turlisk said:
Denis said:
turlisk said:
The way you were taught by your teacher.
That's not really helping, however that's okay i found my answer already thanks for replying.

BUT you were not asking for "help", but for an opinion :wink: