Spam

BigGlenntheHeavy

\(\displaystyle Hey \ guys, naive \ me.\)

\(\displaystyle Lately, \I \ been \ deleting \ spam \ to \ help \ out, \ mainly \ the \ "gold" \ spam.\)

\(\displaystyle Before \ that \ I \ just \ thought \ someone \ got \ his \ or \ her \ board \ mixed-up.\)

\(\displaystyle Is \ this \ a \ constant \ problem?\)

Near constant, lately. I've flagged for deletion about a dozen posts on each of the past five nights.

Gold. Boots. Sports jerseys. Shoes. Fee-based math sites. I don't know what the SPAMMER was selling last night because I did not visit the link, and the posts did not make it clear (despite the posts being several paragraphs long).

I posted some phpBB help sites on galactus' thread. If I had the time, I would go to those forums, and research/ask what other administrators are doing to eliminate SPAM at their phpBB boards. Perhaps the phpBB software has some anti-SPAM features. Maybe Ted could implement a change.

I just flagged for deletion 10 posts by 9589wowh3f06.

9589wowh3f06 is the wow-gold SPAMMER.

I used WHOIS to locate the wow-gold site's ISP. If I read the information correctly, the ISP is GLAXNET in Atlanta, GA.

The abuse contact address is: abuse@gnax.net

I would like Ted to contact GLAXNET and report the abuse of their network by the client operating as www[dot]ugamesale[dot]com.

Ted generally ignores my e-mails; perhaps, one of the moderators can ask him to do this.

I finally figured it out....while I was flipping through TV channels ....

All these "gold" spammers are disciples of Glenn Beck.....

Hi guys,

Have you noticed a reduction in SPAM over the last few days? I'm trying a few things behind the scenes, as well as changing the registration form to cut down on bots at least. I apologize for not being very reachable lately... just started a new job a few weeks ago. But, I do want to make sure things don't get too out of control around here!! I just never seem to be online at the right time to see all the spam, which tells me that you guys are actually doing a fantastic job of getting rid of it when you DO see it :)

One idea was floated before (I don't know how hard it would be to implement)

The first five days posts of every new user must be approved through one of the moderators.

The phpBB website has a lot of information.

There is a forum, where administrators (or moderators) discuss issues like SPAM.

Also, here are that site's search results on keyword: SPAM

I supposed the SPAMMERs read that information, too, so it becomes a game of cat-and-mouse. I hope there's useful information at the site for Free Math Help, anyway.

Cheers!