Why is the answer a negative number?

Re: Re:

Subhotosh Khan said:
\(\displaystyle a\div bc\) is same as a\(bc)

So in other words it seems to me you're saying after a \(\displaystyle \div\) sign you automatically assume there is brackets around any terms that follow to find the correct answer...??

Which means:

\(\displaystyle (-5a^3b^5)^2 \div a^4b^3 =\) (-5a^3b^5)^2 / (a^4b^3) = \(\displaystyle 25a^2b^7\)

Correct?

P.S. I apologize for thinking that \(\displaystyle \div =\) / I know im not here to argue but sometimes you argue in order to be proved wrong so you can understand where your understanding/argument was flawed. And therefore you come to understanding. You guys have ZERO patience for someone who is a noob and trying to understanding. Of course im not trying to argue that convention is wrong and needs to be changed. But im obviously confused or else i wouldnt be asking for more help! But if you are so frustrated by such an idiot who's honestly trying to understand and is honestly confused then simply dont reply.

Re: Re:

einstein said:
You guys have ZERO patience for someone who is a noob and trying to understanding.

Don't generalize to all of the posters; that is exaggerating.

einstein said:
But if you are so frustrated by such an idiot who's honestly trying to understand
and is honestly confused then simply dont reply.

You are not an "idiot," but you may have a mental block about this.

\(\displaystyle And \ about \ this \ answer \ supposing \ to \ be \ negative \ from\)

\(\displaystyle \ the \ book's \ answer \ section, \ I \ could \ likely \ only \ see\)

\(\displaystyle \ that \ if \ the \ problem \ were \ actually \ stated \ as\)

\(\displaystyle \ -(5a^3b^5)^2 \ \div \ a^4b^3, \ or\)

\(\displaystyle -(-5a^3b^5)^2 \ \div \ a^4b^3, \ or\)

\(\displaystyle (5a^3b^5)^2 \ \div \ -a^4b^3, \ or\)

\(\displaystyle (-5a^3b^5)^2 \ \div \ -a^4b^3\)