fraction

mirnago

Help
Sylvan withdrew 2/5 of the amount in his savings account and spent 7/10 of that money. What fraction of his total savings does he still have?

mirnago said:
Help
Sylvan withdrew 2/5 of the amount in his savings account and spent 7/10 of that money. What fraction of his total savings does he still have?

Let's say Sylvan had $ 100 in savings.

withdrew 2/5 of the amount in his savings account - How much did he withdraw? ................(1)

How much is still left in his account?..........................................................................................(2)

spent 7/10 of that money - how much money did he spend? ...............................................................(3)

How much of the "withdrawn" money still left? ........................................................ (4)

Add (2) and (4) .......... what fraction of 100 is that?

mirnago said:
Sylvan withdrew 2/5 of the amount in his savings account and spent 7/10 of that money.
What fraction of his total savings does he still have?
Pretend the wording is:
Your father gives you 2/5 of your weekly allowance.
You spend 7/10 of that money.
What fraction of your weekly allowance will you have after getting the other 3/5?

My son never had any problems figuring out ANYTHING concerning what I owed him :wink:

Re:

mmm4444bot said:
mirnago said:
\(\displaystyle >>>\)his total savings \(\displaystyle <<<\)

I'm not sure what this phrase is supposed to mean.

mmm4444bot,

would you accept the meaning of "the original amount of money in his savings account?"

lookagain said:
would you accept the meaning of "the original amount of money in his savings account?"

I would. That meaning is one of the possibilities in my mind. 8-)