Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NCTM December Math Problems Calendar!!

NCTM December Math Problems Calendar!!

1. If the area of a triangle with base 2F and height F-2 is equal to F, compute F.

4. If (2+2i)^2=a+bi compute the value of a+b

12. Given abs(11x-4)<or equal to 99/2 find the result when the largest possible solution for x is subtracted from the smallest possible solution.

16. At which alue of x does this equation take on its minimum value? y=(x-1)(x-19)+7

20. Let K=1/(1/4). If x=K/(K-x), find x.

24. Compute x+y, given the linear system with T cannot = 1 and with the ordered pair (x,y) as solution:
    x+2y=3...Tx+(T+1)y=T+2
    28. If 720 can be written as the product of five consecutive integers, determine the middle integer.

29. Compute the number of integers from 1 to 10000 inclusive that are divisible by 4 or 5.

For these problems I don't want the answers, I am looking for a way to look at the problem differently to start them off. Any help is very appreciated!

Elite Member

Re: NCTM December Math Problems Calendar!!

"Help" would require you to do somehting. Show what you can.

Elite Member

Can we get an email from your teacher confirming this?
    I'm just an imagination of your figment !

Quote Originally Posted by tkhunny
    I switched my question at the bottom up to better clarify what I was asking. If you can help me with starting these problems it would be beneficial to me.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by koolwhip40
    1. If the area of a triangle with base 2F and height F-2 is equal to F, compute F.

Area of a triangle = 1/2 * (base) * (height)

replace the unknowns by given functions of F and then solve for 'F".

Please show us what progress you can make with above hint - then more will come

4. If (2+2i)^2=a+bi compute the value of a+b

12. Given abs(11x-4)<or equal to 99/2 find the result when the largest possible solution for x is subtracted from the smallest possible solution.

16. At which alue of x does this equation take on its minimum value? y=(x-1)(x-19)+7

20. Let K=1/(1/4). If x=K/(K-x), find x.

24. Compute x+y, given the linear system with T cannot = 1 and with the ordered pair (x,y) as solution:
    x+2y=3...Tx+(T+1)y=T+2
    28. If 720 can be written as the product of five consecutive integers, determine the middle integer.

29. Compute the number of integers from 1 to 10000 inclusive that are divisible by 4 or 5.

For these problems I don't want the answers, I am looking for a way to look at the problem differently to start them off. Any help is very appreciated!
    “... mathematics is only the art of saying the same thing in different words” - B. Russell

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by tkhunny
    I switched my question at the bottom up to better clarify what I was asking. If you can help me with starting these problems it would be beneficial to me.
    Fair enough.

4. Perform multiplication, combine like terms, simplify

[quote="Subhotosh Khan"][quote="koolwhip40"]1. If the area of a triangle with base 2F and height F-2 is equal to F, compute F.

Ok I did that and I got 5/2 for the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Subhotosh Khan

Ok I did that and I got 5/2 for the answer.
    I'm sorry...that is not the correct answer. And because we can't SEE the work you did, we have no idea of where you might be making a mistake. Please repost, and show us how you "got 5/2 for the answer."

I'm sorry...that is not the correct answer. And because we can't SEE the work you did, we have no idea of where you might be making a mistake. Please repost, and show us how you "got 5/2 for the answer."
    Ok I looked back at what I did and I found the error I think..this is what I did for my answer..
    .5(2F)(F-2)=F
    F(F-2)=F
    The F's cancel out because F=F so I was left with F-2=0, I added 2 to each side and got 2 for my answer.